Long block Mopar 6.4 - What's included/missing?

-

59CumminsRam

Reaction score
Thinking about a 6.4 swap into my 65 Coronet. I'm debating between the full crate motor ($8,000) vs. Mopar's long block replacement ($4,500). Does anyone know what is included and, just as importantly, what isn't included in Mopar's long block replacement (part # 68411234AA)?

I'm assuming I'm going to need:
1. Intake
2. Throttle body
3. Fuel rails and injectors
4. Valve covers and coils

5. Oil pan and pickup
6. Timing cover, water pump, oil pump
7. Front accessory drive (alternator, power steering, AC compressor)
8. Mopar swap harness or Holley Terminator
9. Headers
10. Anything else?

I'm contemplating making the hemi look a little more old school with an OC Performance intake and I know I'll have to get a new oil pan and pickup anyway. The full crate motor comes with parts I won't need: intake, oil pan, flywheel and clutch, exhaust manifolds. Items 5, 7, 8, & 9 from my list above, along with engine mounts and oil filter relocation, I have to buy regardless of the engine I purchase. The flywheel and clutch (included in the full crate engine) will be coming in my Silver Sport TKO-600 kit. It looks like the parts I'll need with the long block kit are the items listed in RED above. I'm I right or wrong in believing the long block might be the best (least expensive) option?

Thanks in advance for any info!

I went through the research recently myself. I ended up buying a 5.7 crate motor for my 71 Charger. Anyway, with the long block you basically get a block, heads and the internals, you do not get any of the items you listed nor do you get any of the sensors, oil filter adapter (which you would have to get anyway). Of course you will also need motor mounts unless you intend to make your own.

Something you may not have considered:
As noted above, you'll need a front cover, and you want the "old school" look-
Have you considered using Arrington Performance's distributor conversion and front cover on the long block? Youll need to buy a cover anyway. Cuts down on the necessary sensor, harness and computer costs and issues, too.
Gen III HEMI Distributor Conversions - shopHEMI.com
Just a thought.

I went through the research recently myself. I ended up buying a 5.7 crate motor for my 71 Charger. Anyway, with the long block you basically get a block, heads and the internals, you do not get any of the items you listed nor do you get any of the sensors, oil filter adapter (which you would have to get anyway). Of course you will also need motor mounts unless you intend to make your own.

Thanks! Which sensors will I need and do the Mopar or Holley Terminator kits come with all of the wire leads to the sensors or will I have to buy any additional leads/sub-harnesses?

Sensors:
1. Knock
2. Oil pressure/temp
3. Water temp
4. IAC
5. MAP
6. Charge air (comes with Mopar kit)
7. O2 (comes with Mopar kit)
8. Crank position
9. Cam position
10. TPS
11. Anything else?

I'm assuming the VVT and SRV controls won't be included in the long block assembly and will have to be purchased separately. I'm I correct?

Something you may not have considered:
As noted above, you'll need a front cover, and you want the "old school" look-
Have you considered using Arrington Performance's distributor conversion and front cover on the long block? Youll need to buy a cover anyway. Cuts down on the necessary sensor, harness and computer costs and issues, too.
Gen III HEMI Distributor Conversions - shopHEMI.com
Just a thought.

Yeah I saw that but would rather keep fuel injection. I installed the Sniper and Fitech on my dad's 71 Hemi GTX and 72 440 Cuda, respectively. My old school look really is just the intake, possibly relocating the coil packs, and painting it all orange with black valve covers.

Your list seems pretty complete. Your harness should come with all of the connections for all of those or any other necessary sensors.

I think you are correct on the VVT and SRV. I intend to lock out my VVT on my 5.7.

Just my two cents, if you don't have all the parts already don't buy the long block. The long block is intended for a engine replacement. Try looking at the create motor from MMX.
6.4L HEMI Crate Engine

Just my two cents, if you don't have all the parts already don't buy the long block. The long block is intended for a engine replacement. Try looking at the create motor from MMX.
6.4L HEMI Crate Engine
Funny you should mention them. That’s 99% the way I’m going. After making a parts list and pricing it out, the long block route is more expensive. Might as well go the crate motor route and slowly convert later to the old-school look.

So another question: Holley Terminator X Max or Mopar wiring harness?

I'm not an expert on either. I understand the Holley is a bit easier to self tune. I use a Megasquirt system. I'm happy with it, and I'm not a tuner. I did have a guy tune it and for me it was worth it. I got my system from EFI source.
As for MMX I have been to their shop twice great guys. Dave Webber has been a Mopar performance builder for many years. When my 5.7 based motor dies I plan to replace it from him. The have several I think are good buys. Again these are just my thoughts.

I'm not an expert on either. I understand the Holley is a bit easier to self tune. I use a Megasquirt system. I'm happy with it, and I'm not a tuner. I did have a guy tune it and for me it was worth it. I got my system from EFI source.
As for MMX I have been to their shop twice great guys. Dave Webber has been a Mopar performance builder for many years. When my 5.7 based motor dies I plan to replace it from him. The have several I think are good buys. Again these are just my thoughts.

That’s good to know since I’m about to drop a lot of money.

-
Back