long screw for front carb bowl stripped???

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
The long screw that secures the front bowl to the metering block on my Holley Carb is stripped. No gas is leaking out. Is there a remedy for this besides a new metering block?

Thx, ZooKypr

much worse than a new metering block---- if this is a 4 bbl holley-- the main body is where the threads are--- You might be able to heli coil this-- I do not know--- What carb is it-- just an aftermarket say 1850? or something else ,Lawrence

Is it the screw that is stripped? or the carb body

Its a Holley 600fm double pumper model 4150 ...manual choke...I haven't removed the screw to determine if its the screw or block...I can't believe I over tightened it but what would be the proper ft lbs torque? Is trying some pipe thread a bad ideal because gas may make contact with it and deteoriate it and get in to the carb jets?

Thx, ZooKypr

Can you post some pictures? check out the thread(s) condition---- hopefully this a top bolt- right now your seal is good from being pressed on for a time -- once you break it it will be difficult to reseal.
I do not think thread dope/tape will help-- if your threads are gone now.

As for ft/pounds on the screws it might be moe like inch pounds-- tighten like an intake manifold-- snug all 4 & continue a circular pattern until hand tight. Gasket compresses & no leaks!!

Lawrence

-
Back