Long tube headers vs Block Hugger (short) Headers 273 Small Block

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Any one have an experience with both? these will be going on a 273 with a 500 Cfm edelbrock. Would the Short tube headers be better for my application or would the long tube Horsepower Gains?

Any one have an experience with both? these will be going on a 273 with a 500 Cfm edelbrock. Would the Short tube headers be better for my application or would the long tube Horsepower Gains?
Show us some samples of what you're talking about. Block huggers don't work on early A's unless you have a trick up your sleeve.

Show us some samples of what you're talking about. Block huggers don't work on early A's unless you have a trick up your sleeve.
its for my 273 1967 barracuda yes block huggers. wondering what would the performance be verses the two

I don't think there's a situation where short tubes make more power over long tube headers.

I don't think there's a situation where short tubes make more power over long tube headers.
Only if you were working at high RPM's and got some benefit from the shorter tubes resonating at the higher RPM's.

OP, what IS your application, as in, how are you planning to use your car/engine? Circle track racing (high RPM's)? Street use only (low RPM's)?

Only if you were working at high RPM's and got some benefit from the shorter tubes resonating at the higher RPM's.

OP, what IS your application, as in, how are you planning to use your car/engine? Circle track racing (high RPM's)? Street use only (low RPM's)?

True but they would still be long enough to be considered long tube headers even for high rpm engines.

The ones I imagine the OP is talking about is for easier fitment and slight bump in power.
Problem is without the lenght you lose most of the gain of having headers.

Main problem with headers in a 67-69 Barracuda is ground clearance. Most go under the suspension and will be crushed by objects like speed bumps or just a good dip in the road. If you are running under 400 hp you might want to look at the 340HP manifolds from the 68 -72 barracuda. Don't loose much but stay up tight.

Main problem with headers in a 67-69 Barracuda is ground clearance. Most go under the suspension and will be crushed by objects like speed bumps or just a good dip in the road. If you are running under 400 hp you might want to look at the 340HP manifolds from the 68 -72 barracuda. Don't loose much but stay up tight.
yup this is my past experience with long tubes on my barracuda even when i had it at the correct height

its going into a 67 barracuda 273 500cfm eddy lb4d intake 3.55. mostly street driving/daily driving i currently have stock manifolds on the 273

yes i had this problem with my old barracuda the long tubes hit and would get scraped even at the stock height

For your level of performance I wouldn't worry about headers. Your 75% size of a 360 and mild 360 don't need headers.

Headers are more important if you got plans for large overlap cam, high flow heads etc...

To me me 340 manifolds are over priced for the couple of hp advantage.
At the most just grab some 360 manifolds might pick up and hp or 2, Chrysler did the samething and added 360 manifolds to 318's in the 80's.

Get yourself some long tubes that go above the steering. Cut them apart at the straight section to the merge and stretch them all out at least a foot to 18 inches. Now you have what your engine needs, namely looooong-tubes. Now put a very small spreadbore on it.Or even the factory 2bbl deal with a big cheap 2bbl. No cam, just stout valve springs to rev 5000ish. If you have a mind to bump up the compression do it, but no cam. At least not much more duration. Now put some 3.23s in it, and an A999 with semi-automatic shift kit, and have at it. 5000 will get you 43mph at the top of first, and 77 at the top of second, and 65=2600. Those extra long tubes will make your 273 out-pull a stock 318, hubba-hubba.
Leave the back seat in the garage,lol. 74 pounds of dead weight right there.
If you don't need the hiway gear then put a lil more gear into her.
I'm armchairing BTW.
But if I had a 273, that's what I would do with it.
I did just that,to a teener, minus the tube stretch but with full-length dual 3 inch exhaust. And with 2.76s. It was awesome.
I would get her into high as soon as she would take WOT,with the manual shift feature,and listen to her work! Oh what a sweet sound. Zero to the top of second was measured by a sundial,but oh what a glorious rapping out the pipes.Well, anyway, I wished it would last forever ,lol
But if not this, then, the other guys have some great ideas.

Last edited:
before you pull the trigger on them shorties, take a 2nt look at them and think how tight of a 90 degree that exh will have to be to keep from dragging just like long tube headers!??
GET THE SAWZALL out AND PUT SOME FENDER WELL HEADERS in!!!!!:poke: Just kidding:D

-
Back