look no hands

-
I'm more towards Richmond va area, straight down interstate 95 but I do come to md often, I have friends that live around happers farry and sharpsburg md I like going up that way to fish and camp out.

DANG!! I went to pick up my transmission today and the forklift driver busted the bell housing bad, at least the man gave me my money back, on a side note there is a 1978 440 sitting there with 54000 miles on it for 500 bucks if anyone wants me to check on it for them, came out of an RV

how fast are you looken to go.

whooo now that is a question as fast as I can go lol,but in reality as far as a small budget will let me, right now I'm back halving the car and I'm doing the 4link setup now with a braced up narrowed 9in, I'm looking to build a 400/451 with a small shot of nos hopfully putting me high 10's but I dream of buying that 512 stroker kit and some really good heads lol

I am one and a half hours east of you. Also doing a 72 Duster...
nice to meet you, about two years ago I helped a fella out your way put a 5.3 ls motor in a Pontiac fiero now that thing was fun to drive and left all the mustang gt guys wondering how that got beat by a fiero lol

Does anybody know the weight of a bare 400 block?? I need to get shipping quotes from st louie to va.

Hey hook's you made a good choice going for the 451.It can definitly be built on a budget using stock rods and a 440 forged crank with hyper pistons. You will end up with a bottom end strong enough to withstand 700 h.p if you build it right,using studs and billet main bearing caps.

The heads are the expensive part,like you said. The stock head is limited to about 600 h.p with tons of porting,which you could do. The templates for big block cast iron heads can still be had.I'd start by puting the $$ in the bottom end first. Then upgrade the heads when you can afford it. This way you wont have to pull the motor.

I lucked out and found a set of alum stage vi max wedge port heads on craigslist for $900. Considering they sell new for $1600 I'm happy! Of course the rockers will set me back $1200,as I want good ones. But I am patient,and maybe I can luck out again?

Headers for a big block A body can get real expensive too,but again the hedman B body headers will work for less than $200.

Again,I lucked out and found a brand new set of hookers for $75 on craigslist.

I also got a screamin deal on some KB hyper pistons from board member Strokerscamp! Less than 1/2 the cost of new,and they were brand new!

So be patient and shop carefully. There is no reason you cant put together a 451 for less than 5 grand if you do this. You will still need to buy lots of things new,but chances are you can shave thousands from your build bill.

Being impatient and wanting it right now will cost you!

yeah bud I shop craigslist and diff places for deals thats the only way I can do this
you say stock ly rods can handle some abuse?? cause I was gonna look for a deal on some h beams and I'll def run forged pistons cause I'm pretty sure there will be a nitrous kit added down the road. I found a set of victors brand new with a set of stainless valves for 1200 but I can't afford them right now, I'd be scraping steel and staving my kids for a month to buy em lol

here are some pics over the last week of the duster getting rust holes fixed notching my k frame and a pic after I went crazy with the sawzaw and slid the frame under it for inspiration and to swell my head a little just to see it lol its all a little further along then these pics, I got batteries for the camera so I'll get some better pics tomorrow:burnout:

Attachments

• 72 Duster 050.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 72 Duster 052.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 409
  • 72 Duster 054.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 315
  • 72 Duster 056.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 320
You've been busy! Lookin good and glad to see it.Your inspiring!

Nos you say? Better go with better rods then. I think the shock might be too much fo em. I don't know for sure,having never thrown nos at a motor,but I do recall one board member here installing a belt driven supercharger on a junkyard 360. It lasted 2 years. Now I have faith in mopar's engineering but when it comes to nos,you gotta have bang on engine control;timing,fuel and detonation. Go for the h beams.

I do know that nice ,inexpensive big block rods can be had from Falcon global on ebay,but they are most definitely made in china.

I'm breaking out the por-15 this morning, this stuff is great on rusty stuff, wire brush the loose rust off, wipe it down with a degreaser and brush it on with a paint brush. this stuff dries so hard you couldn't beat it off with a chain

ha hooks, wen is next time your going to sharpsburg to see your Friend.I'm about 12miles out of your way off I-70 I would like you to come up and hopefully you have a pickup to get this 400 short block with a 509 cam out of my way.and if you bring me a set of heads the next time you come up they will be ported and polished.I would think that should get you started somewere in the low 12s with the write converter and trans O and speking of trans if you have one bring it along I have a frend thats good at doing them for raceing.Just trying to help...........Artie 15425 Quirauk school rd.21780

oh my goodness I don't know what to say but thankyou thankyou thankyou, I've been helping a friend the last few days deflea his cows lol
artie I'll make a special trip up there just for that lol wow thankyou very much

Godfather,thanks on hooks behalf as well!! It makes me extremely happy to see him getting the help he needs!

You are an inspiration. I wish more folks were like you.And you as well Hook's!

whoooo I didn't think I was gonna get back on here, I couldn't get any link I found to work, kept saying couldn't find server:banghead: anyway works now:cheers:

I've found a set of victor heads, brand new, comes with stainless valves for 1200 bucks on the b forum, I contacted him and he told me he checked out my no hands thread here and if I bought the heads he would throw in some more stuff I can use :cheers: so now I'm scraping steel and trying to sell some triumph motorcycle stuff, hope I can get them before they sell, got my toes crossed lol

Cool deal. It's really touching to see every one come together and help out a fellow member here. It's just one more reason why this is one of the best sites on the interweb.

Wish I had something to contribute but all I have is small block and 904 stuff. Keep up the good work guys, you all make this world a better place.

well I'm back at the car again today, took a long needed vacation, went to bugs Island (Kerr Dam) and watched the kids play and swim also watched a few tiny bikinis walking around but play time is over.

When installing a bigblock 727 in my duster, dose the trans tunnel need to be modified??

Well yes,but just a minor one. You will see a seam with a fat lip inside the tranny tunnel/bell housing area.Just fold that lip up,it will help with clearance when installing.

-
Back