Look what came in the mail today

-

kkeith1986

Reaction score
Well My turbo came in the mail today. This is the first piece to long and slow turbo build. The pipe for the manifold should be here later this week though and it should be easy to weld up because I am going with a log style manifold. I don't know how long it will take me and I am in no hurry. So far all I have is the intake manifold, turbo, and the manifold flanges.

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 608
Sweet good luck with the build buddy ill be following you. What compression ratio is the motor going to be? 8.5-9?

all stock motor so closer to 8.0:1 and I am only looking for 6 pounds of boost. If the motor goes then I will build up a new one for the turbo.

Cool sounds good. I want to build a turbo motor someday. Nothing like that sound of a screaming turbo and tire smoke. Hell my cummins runs high 12's and there's nothing like the scream of that turbo and the gut wrenching acceleration once the lag is gone

Piping came in the mail today too. Now I just need get a pipe notcher so I can start assembly of the exhaust manifold! I got six 45 degree elbows, two 90 degree elbows, and 4 feet of pipe. They are 1.67" inside diamater schedule 40 pipe (304l stainless steel). I know welding stainless steel to mild steel is a pain but I have talked to a couple guys who weld for a living and they said as long as I use 309l wire, I shouldn't have a problem.

Attachments

• piping.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 569
  • piping2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 554
Sounds like a good beginning to a fun project !!! I'll be watching !!:prayer:

Dennis- you quit watchin and get back to work! I hear I Dart in your garage callin your name... lol

Very cool looking setup- looking forward to seeing it evolve!

You know you can buy a stainless 1/2" exhaust flange for a slant six? A guy named "4ouraces" sells them on ebay. They are around $100 compared to $50 or so for mild steel. I have been thinking about buying one of him for months.

Very cool kkeith. I'm right down the road from you in Naperville. I'd be glad to help you out if you ever need a 2nd set of hands.

Pat

Wow, doing it the hard way! I applaud your vision....subscribed...and 6 psi with that snail will be a piece of cake. Might take a little R's to turn but youll have plenty up top.

I need to find a cracked or damaged cyclinder head for mocking up the turbo manifold. Does anyone, in my area, have a head I could have or borrow for mock up?

I need to find a cracked or damaged cyclinder head for mocking up the turbo manifold. Does anyone, in my area, have a head I could have or borrow for mock up?

We are building a turbo/6 car, too. So far, we have only seen 8 pounds of boost, but even at that low boost levek=, this thing scoots!

My other car is a '72 Valiant with a belt-driven (Vortech) centrifugal supercharger, (10 pounds of boost) and this turbo car feels about as fast, seat-of-the-pants, already. The turbo car only weighs 2,680 to the supercharged car's 3,340, so that's a pretty big difference (660 pounds.)

What kind of car is this turbo motor going into, and what is its intended usage?

I'm very interested in your project, and I hope you will keep us updated with text and pics about the build.

Here's a pic or two, of our junk, if you haven't seen it.:wack:

Attachments

• 100_3489-1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_3780.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 100_3720.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 339
Bill,

I have been following your progress for the past six months. Actually you and turbo toad were the ones who inspired me to go this route. At first I was just going to upgrade the intake, carb, and headers but then after seeing your guys progress I figured why not. I have always wanted to build a turbo car and have always wanting something a little different.
The car that this is going in is a 67 plymouth valiant 2-door. It will be a long slow project but I am in no hurry to have it finished. I would like the engine to be done before the summer long with upgrading the brakes. As for everything else like body work and interior is not a concern for me yet.

Bill,

I have been following your progress for the past six months. Actually you and turbo toad were the ones who inspired me to go this route. At first I was just going to upgrade the intake, carb, and headers but then after seeing your guys progress I figured why not. I have always wanted to build a turbo car and have always wanting something a little different.
The car that this is going in is a 67 plymouth valiant 2-door. It will be a long slow project but I am in no hurry to have it finished. I would like the engine to be done before the summer long with upgrading the brakes. As for everything else like body work and interior is not a concern for me yet.

This will be no news to you I am sure, but the underlying cause that made me want to supercharge or tubocharge a slant six was the design of the cylinder head. It is a virtual bottleneck that has a crippling effect on flow in and out of those six cylinders, to the extent that there is virtually no way to get a satisfactory amount of horsepower production using the normal, everyday, hop-uo methods that are commonplace, such as raising the compression ratio, increasing camshaft lift and duration, porting the head and installing bigger valves, and increasing glow through the engine with the installation of, say, a 4-bbl carb and a header. That head was designed for a 170 cid engine and it shows.

You can do all of the normal, conventional modificatioins, and end up with an engine that runs a lot better than it did, stock, but horsepower levels of 1.5 hp per cubic inch and above will not be in the cards, because there is just no way, given the small bore design, to move enough air through the severely-limited port and valve sizes possible, even with expert modification. The raw material is just not there. It's not.

The small bores prohibit it.

However, given that set of circumstances, when you look at the alternatives, such as forced induction, (turbo OR supercharging,) all that poor breathing just goes away because of the new lease on life available. The robust, rigid, overly strong infrastructure of the slant six block and crank is built for boost. It is designed to take large amounts of forced induction (boost) without suffering damage, and all of a sudden, the horsepower levels that can reach 2 hp per cubic inch, and, above, are available.

So, the little /6 becomes a new player in the "fun to drive" arena, with 300 horsepower easily available at moderate boost levels.

Tom Wolfe (Shaker223) put a junkyard Buick Grand National turbo, with a 4bbl carb and no other modifications, on a 225 slant six in his 3,000-pound '71Dart and ran 12.95 @ 102mph. That takes about 300 hp. Getting that level of performance, from a normally-aspirated /6 would take a LOT of effort, and modifications oif the type that would virtually destroy street driveability.

Well, there is more than one way to skin a cat; in this case, it would seem that forced induction would be the most desirable way to go.

It's not particularly easy, but at boost levels of ten pounds and under, it's not necessary to run an intercooler, and a stock distributor and coil will do the job as long as you limiit the spark advance to 18 degrees, under boost.

The hardest part of the build is a satisfactory turbo-mount exhaust manifold, and PISHTA has come up with a good solution for that.

I apologize for the overly-long post; there just doesn't seem to be any quick way to say this.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

My plan is to only run about 6psi. The turbo is a turbonetics turbo that was built for the grand national motor. The carb I am still unsure on what I want to run. I want to run a 2 barrel but I am not sure if I should go with a 350cfm or 500cfm. I am leaning towards the 350cfm. I am only hoping for around 200hp and something that is just fun to drive around.

My plan is to only run about 6psi. The turbo is a turbonetics turbo that was built for the grand national motor. The carb I am still unsure on what I want to run. I want to run a 2 barrel but I am not sure if I should go with a 350cfm or 500cfm. I am leaning towards the 350cfm. I am only hoping for around 200hp and something that is just fun to drive around.

I think your plan is a good one. "Only" six pounds of boost doesn't sound like much, but I am here to tell you that our car, with 8 pounds of boost, is anything but slow. Nail it and when the boost gauge indicates 8 psi, it feels like a pretty lively ride. Definitely, a fun car to drive!:blob:

I believe that a 350 2bbl would probably give you better around-town driveability, and would allow for some air-management increases later on. Ryan ran some low 11's with his secondaries disconnected (his carb is a 650 Holley, I think) so that's like a 325 carb, on 2 barrells. You can always go bigger, later on, if you need to.

Keep usw in the loop; I am very much interested in your progress.

We had planned to do some work on re-positioning our waste gate tomorrow (welding the standpipe} but, Freddie developed heart palpitations and is going to have to see the doctor and possibly get his heart shocked back into the proper rhythm, tomorrow, so, we'll see.

Stay tuned...

Does anybody know if I can get away with running a mechanical fuel pump with 6psi of boost or should I go with an electronic pump and a boost referenced reg?

-
Back