Looking for a double roller for a slant 6

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I am having to learn about slant 6's as my ex's 64 Dart is broken down in my back yard, and I need to get it out of here as it is blocking the entrance to my back garage where all MY toys are.

I found a 68 slant 6 with 49 k original miles that I am trying to "freshen up" before I install it. I am going to replace the freeze plugs and timing chain, possibly a bigger cam - not sure yet. Then install it in the car to get it running.

Does anybody know where to get a good double roller timing chain (even a true roller would be nice) for the slant 6? I have checked with Mancini and Summit, and they don't have any listings. If anyone has a listing for a slant 6 double roller or true roller double roller timing chain, I would appreciate the manufacturer name and part number if possible.

Also, if anyone has any good cam recommendations, I would like to hear about them. I am looking to give her a little more pick-up and still have good fuel economy. I'm thinking like around 250° - 260° duration. What kind of cams have you guys run in the slant 6, and how happy were you with them? We are looking to improve perfomance over stock and still keep fuel economy.

The double row timing chain is NAPA part 9168, used from 1962 to 1975 on the slant six. The sprockets are part S338 and S339.

The double row timing chain is NAPA part 9168, used from 1962 to 1975 on the slant six. The sprockets are part S338 and S339.

Great!! Thanks for the info. I have a NAPA real close to me.

there are two true rollers ones

one by jp and the other is rollermaster? i think... you can both thru ebay

FWIW, the chain and the crank gear is the same as a B/RB. For some reason the slant double roller cam gear is available separately. The big block chain and gears and a slant cam gear costs less than a slant setup. Go figure.

If you're putting a '68 or later slant-6 in front of a '67 or earlier automatic transmission, you will need to install the 1/8" annular spacer ring between the (small early) torque converter nose and the (large late) crankshaft rear flange counterbore, or you will quickly and repeatedly eat up transmission front pump bushings and seals.

On a related subject......has anyone ever lost a chain in a slant 6?? I've been playing with these things for over 40 years now and have NEVER seen a broken chain or one that has skipped. I've had ones so loose they hit the timing cover and caused the ignition timing to vary almost 30 degrees but they still worked. Maybe I've just led a sheltered life...... :)

FWIW, the chain and the crank gear is the same as a B/RB. For some reason the slant double roller cam gear is available separately. The big block chain and gears and a slant cam gear costs less than a slant setup. Go figure.

i think its the chain and upper gear thats different...

On a related subject......has anyone ever lost a chain in a slant 6?? I've been playing with these things for over 40 years now and have NEVER seen a broken chain or one that has skipped. I've had ones so loose they hit the timing cover and caused the ignition timing to vary almost 30 degrees but they still worked. Maybe I've just led a sheltered life...... :)

well i first installed a double row autozone chain in my slant and when i broke a ring (6k miles) the chain was wore out... so for how much of a pain in the a** it is to tear the front of the engine down and gaskets i would rather spend 120 bucks on a roller and never mess with it again...

If you're putting a '68 or later slant-6 in front of a '67 or earlier automatic transmission, you will need to install the 1/8" annular spacer ring between the (small early) torque converter nose and the (large late) crankshaft rear flange counterbore, or you will quickly and repeatedly eat up transmission front pump bushings and seals.

Good info!

I think that I will be ok. I have a 66, and I believe 2 67 engines. I am also just going to use the original trans as it was a pushbutton. I do have a spare pushbutton trans freshly rebuilt (with heavy duty clutches and shift kit from reliable builder) with good converter on the side just in case. I'm saving it for the fresh "complete rebuild" engine.

I thought all you posted was jokes...:joker:

No, I do post jokes to try to give people the "joke of the day" thing. :toothy7:

I have also been buying a ton of parts to get my fleet back running again. :yawinkle:

I have to get my ex-wife's 64 Dart out of the way. It is blocking my access to my rear garage where ALL OF MY TOYS ARE!!! ](*,) disgust

She threw a rod through the side of the block by # 1 & #2 cyl. :thumbdow: disgust :sad7:

If my ex's car was on my property it'd get a free trip to the scrap yard.

If my ex's car was on my property it'd get a free trip to the scrap yard.
I've been reading this and the other post thinking,a cam and timing chain what a nice guy especially for his ex. I would do it I suppose if I had to just to get her out of my hair. What does your new girlfriend/wife think of your act of kindness? LOL I can't say much as I've been a snowmobile mechanic for mine this last year.

I work on my ex wife's vehicles... I feel I'm getting my money back a little at a time :D

Yes, twice-factory chain jumped teeth, the cam gear was the nylon teeth version.
Each time it was while getting off the freeway-letting off the gas...

FWIW The JP set are pretty good, I have one in my 340.

On the convertor snout/crank register interchange, you can have the early convertor guts installed into a later '68 & up shell to remedy the issue as well.
I've had it done myself.

-
Back