Looking for a threaded insert tool

-

Rob R

Reaction score
I'm looking for that tool that installs threaded inserts into metal.Put the insert in and you can now you can screw in a bolt.I've found big riveters that use a threaded insert to act as a rivet but I need the tool that installs the insert,SAE std preferred...Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Google thread insert tool and multiple hits should pop up.

Just bought one....

Screenshot_20210918-133144.jpg

Many times, you can just use a bolt with the thread pitch of the insert, along with a slightly larger size nut and a washer. If you do this, a little bit of lube on the threads helps (like WD-40,etc).

I never saw the need for a fancy tool to install rivnuts when they can be installed so easily without one. This is what I do:

I'm looking for that tool that installs threaded inserts into metal.Put the insert in and you can now you can screw in a bolt.I've found big riveters that use a threaded insert to act as a rivet but I need the tool that installs the insert,SAE std preferred...Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I have used one quite few times , u can make one very easily just a piece of metal w/ a correct size hole in it for the bolt to squeeze/pull it down , use oil-or greese ---------

I never saw the need for a fancy tool to install rivnuts when they can be installed so easily without one. This is what I do:

"Almost" this^^

Before I got laid off from the wheelchair joint, we used them. had a shop made "handle with a hard nut welded on to stick the pilot bolt through. Pilot bolt is a grade 8 in this case allen drive, but head only needs to be a good quality head in whatever drive you are using. A few washers for thrust, and some lube, and a method to turn it--low geared drill with clutch, hand tool, whatever. We used 3-in-1 oil

These are either no10 or 12 machine screw thread, the tool all shop made. Washers are for thrust and to get the bolt the right length so you don't have to twist endlessly. We primarily used a clutched air tool but did do some by had or part way with "drill driver" and finished up by hand

IMG_3008.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input,I should have stated that I need one that does steel inserts...I did find what I was looking for.
Thanks again

Thanks for all the input,I should have stated that I need one that does steel inserts...I did find what I was looking for.
Thanks again

mine is like the one above , but flat steel bar , and I have only used only steel inserts so far

WV64...
I went with the same one that dodgedude37 has...works great,1/2 doz of my neighbors needed inserts in some way...I got 3 ribeye steaks out of helping them.I never asked for anything they just brought them over.
Pretty handy thing to have...

Though the marson one I have has been great and has gotten alot of use I may pick up one of the bigger ones that kinda look like bolt cutters so I can do bigger diameter inserts.
I do alot of size 10-24 with the marson in working on my old apache pop up camper

-
Back