Looking for advice on fixing rust on interior of car

-

Sirsmiley9

Reaction score
I’ve got a 76 duster with some rust issues on the a pillar and the metal over the doors as well as where the roof meets the rear window I have pictures of these spots but I’ve not fixed any rust before and was hoping I could get some advice for fixing these spots and possibly prevent it from happening again

28E0F2CA-0084-4F76-AF01-E8D49DB46D55.jpeg

CD76FDD8-539E-4795-8239-96D05E500B29.jpeg

F377A477-84B4-47C7-B362-9CCD06607F6D.jpeg

35C0F761-85C1-4F9E-9921-8C80D81246AB.jpeg

4A011853-503B-43BF-B6F5-36111F9E2092.jpeg

3 options

1. Buy a good donor for the sheetmetal to replace the damaged steel, learn to cut, weld, fabricate.

2. Buy a better body, and use your car as a donor.

3. Ignore it.

PS: honestly how bad it looks in the pix, it's usually 10x farther along underneath where you cant see it until you open it up. My vote is get a different body shell that's not ate up in the roof area, and turn yours into a donor car. It's a 76, likely a slant 6 car. Unless you have some serious emotional attachment to it, it's not worth repairing.

Last edited:
3 options

1. Buy a good donor for the sheetmetal to replace the damaged steel, learn to cut, weld, fabricate.

2. Buy a better body, and use your car as a donor.

3. Ignore it.

PS: honestly how bad it looks in the pix, it's usually 10x farther along underneath where you cant see it until you open it up. My vote is get a different body shell that's not ate up in the roof area, and turn yours into a donor car. It's a 76, likely a slant 6 car. Unless you have some serious emotional attachment to it, it's not worth repairing.
Great advice here, spot on IMHO.
I will add to it that once rust starts in the seams, it is almost impossible to repair it and get rid of it forever unless you cut it out a lot bigger than it looks and replace the affected areas with good used metal from a donor car.
I would have a good look at the frame rails and floors especially where the sheet metal is spot welded to it and if there is any rust swelling there, than the body is too far gone to be practically saved.

Add this to the fact that you haven't done this sort of repair before, you're in a bad spot to start.

Get a better body to start with and use your car as a parts car is my best advice.........

Tops are easy to cut off and weld back on if you can find a good donor.

Measure it twice so the glass will fit, cut the donor top a little longer, it is easier to grind a little off than weld, weld, weld, to fill a gap.

That's bad rust. I'd start looking for a roof donor. Take the windshield out. It'll be worse. Make up a jig for the glass opening, some light 3/8 steel rod welded in a grid across the opening bottom & sides. Just let it rest on the top so the new roof will meet up.

Contact Chris Birdsong of junkerup musclecars. From youtube AKA the charger hog. He just bought a whole impound lot full dry climate of A bodies in LA Vegas. Has a bunch of rot free dusters and dart sports. Use yours for parts.

-
Back