Reaction score
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for an original A Body Dana LO23 or BO29 or Direct Connection
must not be cut
Top dollar paid
If you know any body or any leads would help even if was a long time ago

DC # for housing with tubes is P3690009 and housing width is 52,5" if it is of any help...

Last edited:
Original was a 68 B-body Dana housing. The reason for the special offset rear rims.

D.C. Unit stock or near stock A-body width.

Original was a 68 B-body Dana housing. The reason for the special offset rear rims.

D.C. Unit stock or near stock A-body width.
Are you 100% sure on the b body housing? Because nothing else in the housing was B body

Are you 100% sure on the b body housing? Because nothing else in the housing was B body

That is the reason for the special offset rear rims. Same offset rear rims on 8 3/4 and Dana rear. Listed in the Scheild book.

If they had Abody width rears, they would have used stock B-body rims off the shelf at much lesser cost and hassle.

Why wouldn't it use the same axles, bearings, gear carrier, and brakes from production vehicles?

Did the S/S Dana uses 10" drums? Wouldn't that have come on a disk brake Dana car? Just had a deep gear set.

An Abody big bolt 8 3/4 housing didn't exist. And they used B-body 8 3/4 off shelf with perches moved in.

That is the reason for the special offset rear rims. Same offset rear rims on 8 3/4 and Dana rear. Listed in the Scheild book.

If they had Abody width rears, they would have used stock B-body rims off the shelf at much lesser cost and hassle.

Why wouldn't it use the same axles, bearings, gear carrier, and brakes from production vehicles?

Did the S/S Dana uses 10" drums? Wouldn't that have come on a disk brake Dana car? Just had a deep gear set.

An Abody big bolt 8 3/4 housing didn't exist. And they used B-body 8 3/4 off shelf with perches moved in.
Scheild's book is not all correct. Just look at the couch fan in the picture "after market one". I talked to him in person. Even he said he know some stuff is wrong. Just like he says they Used B Body front brakes. Not correct, they used A Body large bolt Kelsey Hays rotors on small bolt spindles. They also used those rotors on the 66 Dart road race cars. They also sold they over the counter. His book is still awesome with some good info.
The rear had 35 spines axles the factory car had the coast spine dana. They did not come out with the 35 spine axles until 1970 cars

Scheild's book is not all correct. Just look at the couch fan in the picture "after market one". I talked to him in person. Even he said he know some stuff is wrong. Just like he says they Used B Body front brakes. Not correct, they used A Body large bolt Kelsey Hays rotors on small bolt spindles. They also used those rotors on the 66 Dart road race cars. They also sold they over the counter. His book is still awesome with some good info.
The rear had 35 spines axles the factory car had the coast spine dana. They did not come out with the 35 spine axles until 1970 cars

But you can verify in the pictures of delivered, picked up, and early campaigned that the car had those funky offset rims to compensate for the wider b-body rears.

I agree
I am not sure about the rear end housing because I herd different opinions from original owners.

Last edited:
When I talked to Alren Vanke (RIP) he said they where special rears built for A Bodies
Plus they sold them over the counter.
I believe the Dana housing at 52 5/8 but over all length is wider 1/2 to 1 inch I believe.
???

Last edited:
well, actually DC listed the 44,5" (#P3690147) and the 52,5" (#P3690007) Dana 60 Axle w Brakes in the 70´s. ´73 possibly, definitely in the´74 Catalog No SP5 (Special Parts)
We know Direct Connection was the result of what the Ramchargers had been doning for some time -developing performance parts for Chrysler.
Since the ´74 Catalog has No 5 it may indicate there were catalogs prior to that... and possibly also a 52,5" Dana, but if this shorter axel assembly was available in ´68...?

Last edited:
Yes, in the Guide it is listed, the Dana with perches moved in and different internals has a PN, because it is a unique axel assembly to these cars.
I believe these cars used the B-Body axel, but it´s not one bit of interest what I think... but to have one of the big guys to reveal this kind of secrets, is not likely gonna happen, is it... :)
I have a few pictures like this one. Maybe I just go out in the garage, take the rule and solve this issue... :)
20160620_201630[1]LandyAuto FABO.jpg

Yes, in the Guide it is listed, the Dana with perches moved in and different internals has a PN, because it is a unique axel assembly to these cars.
I believe these cars used the B-Body axel, but it´s not one bit of interest what I think... but to have one of the big guys to reveal this kind of secrets, is not likely gonna happen, is it... :)
I have a few pictures like this one. Maybe I just go out in the garage, take the rule and solve this issue... :)
View attachment 1715076546
Buy looking at that original car that is no B body rear to me. It should have a lot more space (tube showing)after the spring to the bearing area. I am telling you they made a body Dana's for those cars. Everything I come up with they are not B body. I think what they mean is that they took the idea from the B body Dana and made an a body one.

Buy looking at that original car that is no B body rear to me. It should have a lot more space (tube showing)after the spring to the bearing area. I am telling you they made a body Dana's for those cars. Everything I come up with they are not B body. I think what they mean is that they took the idea from the B body Dana and made an a body one.

Well it´s a good thing I never said you are wrong...
Right now I have the spring package dissembled, since I want to remove five layers of paint. I will than take a shot from the very same angle.
Must admit, I´m not hundred anymore...

*Special parts for super stock Dana axle assembly complete. 52.5". (PN)P3690007) P4120428 & P4120694

Well, flang-to-flang on my axel is close to 55" so the axel should be a 60´s B-Body.

Not pleased with this pic, but it was getting dark, and car sits a little low, so I had to aim from the hip like. Trying tomorrow again.
BS on rim is 4.5". On the pic it looks as if it is quit close to the leaf springs, but some six inches in reality.
Yes perspectives is really fooling you and it is really hard to tell. If picture on Landy´s Dart shows a 52.5 housing it would mean mine is an inch and a quarter wider.
First pic is of Landy´s Auto Dart. But don´t pay to much attention to second pic. Just a little of angel means a lot here...
20160620_201630[1]LandyAuto FABO U bolt.jpg

20170729_205859 Min FABO mindre.jpg

Years ago I had a chance to buy a set of axles from a 68 Hemi Barracuda and they are shorter than B-body axles.

I must also show you this photo.
It´s from the www of Hodge Restorations, and axel is from a Sox&Martin car. Axel looks more like mine B-Body axel. Now we don´t know if this was the original axel on this car, but it is not likely car came with a 52.5" axel and than you swapped to a wider B-Body rear end...
I hope it is all right with Hodge Restorations, to use this picture.
9 Sox M Hodge Rest.jpg

Also, ´67 housing and axel is close to 3/4 of an inch sorter than of ´68. Both Dana and the 8 3/4 shown.
Well, haven´t open it up jet. Will change gears this winter. Axel has had a total rebuild, and is sold as a ´68. I´m pretty sure it is not a 35 spline axel.

Correction. Distance between rim and leaf spring is 3,5", nothing else... so with a 5" BS we have 3" for the tire...
20161211_130730[1]DanaBoM.jpg

20170729_205859 Min rim FABO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back