Looking for complete wiring harness recommentions

-

Frank Smith

Mischief
Reaction score
The 68 fastback Barracuda I have has a lot of potential. The wiring looks to have been done by someone with a lot of electrical tape and not a lot of electrical sense. The underside of the dash is a crime against humanity.

So what are your go-to's vendors for a complete wiring harness, with expansion options for things like EFI?

For under the dash, wait for a Year One 20% sale. For the rest, I like Evans Wiring in Erie PA

The 68 fastback Barracuda I have has a lot of potential. The wiring looks to have been done by someone with a lot of electrical tape and not a lot of electrical sense. The underside of the dash is a crime against humanity.

So what are your go-to's vendors for a complete wiring harness, with expansion options for things like EFI?

If u got the coin , go w/ a mopar specific re wire , most kits are chevy based ---------I used an ebay E Z kit , had to change all the ends and steering column to mopar , a lot of help from Sean at E Z , works good , was pretty neat , till I switched to fuel inj , now it somewhat of a mess in places , but has worked excellantly so far.

Welcome Frank! I like your descriptions...one can only imagine what the under the dash harness looks like! I don't have any recommendations because I'm the one that will take all the wires out that I'm not using and put 'em, in a box for someday. Good luck! looking forward to updates and pictures. Bob

Like the posts above said, wait for a 20-30% sale Year One. My '69 Dart Swinger was so hacked that I replaced all of the wiring front to rear. Don't be intimidated, it's not as hard as you think, it's plug and play. You may have wire's and other things missing that you didn't know about, I sure did. Take your front seat out if you can, more room and you'll probably have to pull your instrument clusters. Several harness's, engine, light's, wipers, dash, and tail lights .
Get a service manual for your car. You'll be glad you did all of this when your done.
Good luck!

M+H Harnesses, available through Year one...Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars

Man, I feel your pain. But, unlike these other guys, unless you're doing a restoration, to hell with an OEM restoration harness. I'd go GM in a second. You can get a nice kit from Speedway Motors. I got one from them for my rat rod truck project for stupid cheap. 21 circuit harness on clearance for 89 bucks and it came with ignition switch, wiper switch, dimmer and turn signal switches.....although I am going to use a vintage style column mount turn signal switch. If you don't want to use the GM switches, you can very easily splice your connectors into the harness for the original Mopar switches. Damn spending a pile of money if you don't have to.

Yearone, why wait for a 20% off there’s a 30% off now.

EC435335-65E3-4DB8-B354-B074ACF3AB21.jpeg

Yearone, why wait for a 20% off there’s a 30% off now.

CarNut,
Thanks for the heads up! You just saved me over $300 on complete wiring for my current project! I got everything from the front bumper to the back bumper for $723 and free shipping. Cheap insurance on a 50 year old car, and no hassle installation. Since the interior is currently gutted, I bet I can install the whole thing in less than 2 hours (I love these factory exact M&H harnesses).

What he said. They are EXACT replicas of the original; to include wire and stripe colors and connectors. That makes it easy to trace problems with a factory wiring diagram.

Having built 2 aftermarket systems in cars I would have to be doing a major transformation on a vehicle to justify not going with a OEM system. I do enough electrical at work to get my "fix" so it would be a Plug and play.

If you are adding some non factory items do what the Manufacturers do now. Add a smaller fuse panel somewhere else. It's not complicated at all....

JW

CarNut,
Thanks for the heads up! You just saved me over $300 on complete wiring for my current project! I got everything from the front bumper to the back bumper for $723 and free shipping. Cheap insurance on a 50 year old car, and no hassle installation. Since the interior is currently gutted, I bet I can install the whole thing in less than 2 hours (I love these factory exact M&H harnesses).
Good to hear, nice to save money on the best hobby there is. Sure makes it easy with these well produced plug and play wiring harnesses.

CarNut,

Nice, but allmost 3 times as expensive as mine , and I run a 130 amp/1 wire alternator , no stinking ballast resister .

Nice, but allmost 3 times as expensive as mine , and I run a 130 amp/1 wire alternator , no stinking ballast resister .

Can't be sure what you mean here, are you manufacturing harnesses for sale?

Same for my 3 Mopars. Gomers had boogered up the cabin wiring. But, the wires were still OK, w/ insulation flexible so I repaired my harnesses. Once you got it on a bench, it wasn't too hard to fix their molestations. I solder and heat-shrink all wire-wire connections.

One thing almost every gomer does, including "professionals" is to cut the wires at the bottom of the column when replacing the turn signal switch. They "fix it" with a bunch of butt-crimps. Very ugly and bulky. Somebody should tell them you can easily release and remove the connector pins with a small screwdriver. I think your year uses the same connector as mine (2 rows, 10 terminals total I recall). Those terminals are termed "twin-lock" and also used on Fords. But you can't find the white plastic housings new. I found the same connector on 1980-90's Dodge motorhomes in the junkyard, along with other 1960's connectors. Apparently, they used up old stock in their motorhomes and/or just kept the designs longer.

-
Back