Looking for info on a Manley big block cam 17383

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Looking for specs on this old Manley cam out of a 440. Only markings I can find are shown.
"Manley" and "17383" on the snout, and it looks like "107" on the shaft, a few paint bands and dabs.
I believe it is a "Thunderstick" , but am coming up dry searching the internet, including Manley's website, so far. Has anybody run one of these cams? I would love to see a cam card!

Thanks!

20220317_171800.jpg

20220317_171811.jpg

20220317_172107.jpg

20220317_172347.jpg

That is a low rpm 2500-4500 range cam.
Specs are 292* adv, 0.512" lift, 230* @ 050. Lot of duration for the stated rpm range.

That is a low rpm 2500-4500 range cam.
Specs are 292* adv, 0.512" lift, 230* @ 050. Lot of duration for the stated rpm range.

Thank you! Where did you find the info? From the little mention I did find on Moparts, somebody said they were "cheater cams".

They got the RPM range wrong, IMO. That cam will easily make power to 6K with matching components and 230@ .050".

I also found this. It seems to be a pretty complete list of the Thunderstick cams and yours is not among them. I think maybe it was a different Manley line.
MANLEY CAMS.jpg

Yeah, I found that, too, thanks Rob. This came out of that engine built by Nick Tosi, I'm reaching out to Nick as well.
Is it used? I cannot see a wear pattern. Might be grease hidin it though. If those specs are right Bewy found, it's a goodun. That 107 is likely the LSA, so it'll be a little lumpy.

Is it used? I cannot see a wear pattern. Might be grease hidin it though. If those specs are right Bewy found, it's a goodun. That 107 is likely the LSA, so it'll be a little lumpy.

It's a fresh build for a drag car, that's been sitting 25-30 years. Yeah, I figured 107 might be the LSA. Nick did all the engine work for Ed Hamburger back in the day. I'm sure he used it for a reason. I was just hoping to find specs, or maybe even a cam card while I'm waiting to hear back from Nick.
According to the internet, this cam don't exist, lol! I'll probably call Manley, too.

It's a fresh build for a drag car, that's been sitting 25-30 years. Yeah, I figured 107 might be the LSA. Nick did all the engine work for Ed Hamburger back in the day. I'm sure he used it for a reason. I was just hoping to find specs, or maybe even a cam card while I'm waiting to hear back from Nick.
According to the internet, this cam don't exist, lol! I'll probably call Manley, too.
It's a super cool old school grind. Lots to be said for that. I think you have a diamond in the rough.

I have a 1979 catalog, probably similar to RRRs. It is not in the main cam section, it is at the front, low rpm tq cams.
Agree with RRR, rpm range is wrong, too low.
It would have a rough-ish idle in a SB & a noticeable in a BB.

I'm sure that's a typo, 2500-6500 with that duration, which depending on the actual tappet lift the adv is based on indicates a slower(& smoother) lift rate lobe for the @.050" number.

All cams are "lumpy"... That's what makes them a cam ..:rolleyes:.. DUMMY...:D..

Finally identified it. A guy on FBBO confirmed it's a Manley "white box" 292 cam, same grind as this Lunati.
The .512 lift is with 1.6 rockers.

Screenshot_2023-02-24-19-42-08-1.png

That's similar to an old Erson grind I got back in the late 70's, 77?

-
Back