Looking for some suggestions

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have recently been working with an engine builder to basically build me a turn key 440. After showing some friends some of the build pictures it's been brought to my attention that the build quality is not what I'm looking for. As far as that goes I've ended that agreement and am looking for someone who can stear me in the right direction.

I'm looking for either a reputable engine builder that can assist me in the planning and building of a 440 or I would also be interested in anyone building "crate" 440 engines that is reputable. I would like to find someone that will break the engine in and tune it so it is basically drop in ready.

I'm located in Southern Wisconsin and would like to keep it fairly local unless it's a reputable company selling a pre built engine.

Any help would be great. Thanks Colin

I have no recommendations for your area, but what are you looking for out of your 440? Do you have and engine or is the builder supplying the core? I will tell you this, there is a big difference between places that rebuild/re-manufacture engines then shops that do performance builds.

I have recently been working with an engine builder to basically build me a turn key 440. After showing some friends some of the build pictures it's been brought to my attention that the build quality is not what I'm looking for. As far as that goes I've ended that agreement and am looking for someone who can stear me in the right direction.

I'm looking for either a reputable engine builder that can assist me in the planning and building of a 440 or I would also be interested in anyone building "crate" 440 engines that is reputable. I would like to find someone that will break the engine in and tune it so it is basically drop in ready.

I'm located in Southern Wisconsin and would like to keep it fairly local unless it's a reputable company selling a pre built engine.

Any help would be great. Thanks Colin
what quality issues did your buddies point out? Pics?

Are you dead set on that 440?
If not, I would seriously consider a blueprint 408

@krazykuda is in the Chicago area. Maybe he can help. That wouldn't be too far, would it?

curious, why

price, power, warranty, delivered to your door, no core charge

of course, my duster is an MRL 408, but before that it was a 360, so for me, staying with a small block made sense (judging by the OPs screen name, it may not for him)

Thanks. I'm not going to get into the last engine builder I just would like to move forward and get something done correctly. I am in Janesville so I can check those guys out too.

Basically looking for a good street strip motor, something say in the 500hp range. I want to run my Schumacher headers so I'm not sure if those work with aluminum heads or not. Also would like to keep the stock hood so nothing too high. Pump gas for sure.

curious, why
IDK, maybe partly cuz
for starters;in a lightweight 7/8/9 Dart, for street use, a 440 would be serious over kill.
The 408SBM fits better,
is marginally lighter,
Headers fit easier,
On the street can do anything the 440 can except swill gas as badly.
And the Distributor is in the back,lol
Plus FABO has vendors with ready to ship engines.

But as far as that goes, a 230 cammed 11/1 aluminum headed 360 ,can spin 325/50-15 BFG DRs to well over the speed limit, and with the right pistons and 63cc heads, falls together at just under 11/1 Scr, with zero machining. It's about the cheapest build going and gets real close to 400 hp/425 torque, which in a 3400 pound car is killer.
I'm thinking a 440 has it's good points too, but it's like
shooting a porcupine with 303 versus a 22; Just how dead do you need it to be ..........

I have parts already for a Bb and that's just what I'd like to build.
I hear you.
Like AJ said in his post about the ups and downs with the positives of going with the small blocks, he is right.
Sort of.
Personally, my head says 408 Blueprint crate 408 (What's not to love with the fitment, power and the warranty?)
But my heart says big block.
I have always been a big block fan, and always will be.
However, bang for the buck, and ease of installation/weight/header fitment/ it would be a Blueprint 408 for sure.............
Good luck to you!

Grawmonbecks in Mason City Iowa built a nice 500 horse 440 for my buddie's Super Bee.

@krazykuda is in the Chicago area. Maybe he can help. That wouldn't be too far, would it?

Thanks. I'm not going to get into the last engine builder I just would like to move forward and get something done correctly. I am in Janesville so I can check those guys out too.

Basically looking for a good street strip motor, something say in the 500hp range. I want to run my Schumacher headers so I'm not sure if those work with aluminum heads or not. Also would like to keep the stock hood so nothing too high. Pump gas for sure.

Thanks Rob...

I'm on the south side of Chicago which is about an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours from Janesville...

If he's interested in dragging it down here, I can help him build it, but the travel time and gas would be high if I were to go to his place and build it with him....

But if he's interested, I'm willing to see if we can work something out...

440 is awesome. Yes the 408 would be cool, but saying you have a big block 440 even more cool!
Agreed. And as far as bang for buck. When my combo is fully done, I’m gonna be just south of 4000 bucks wrapped up in my 440, carb to pan. My combo is a proven combo good for 550 hp but I have better heads, so I’m hoping to be in the 575 flywheel range Hp. I’ll be right at the weight of a stock LA engine as well with all the aluminum. Not sure what that 408 puts out but for 10,800, it better beat the 440 by a lot for me to go too it.

Last edited:
I've gotten a few responses back from machine shops. I think they are all proud of their work that's for sure! Anywhere from 10k to 15k... I can buy a complete engine done from Indy cylinder head for less than that. Anyone have any experience with hose guys?

I've gotten a few responses back from machine shops. I think they are all proud of their work that's for sure! Anywhere from 10k to 15k... I can buy a complete engine done from Indy cylinder head for less than that. Anyone have any experience with hose guys?
Indy just changed ownership and management, i met the new owners at the swap last weekend, namely Charli and she is well aware of Indy's past reputation for lack of customer service. The quality has always been good, but the service has been rather crappy. She aims to change that.

As for 10-15K, damn. For that, send it down to Jimmy's Machine Shop here in southern Indiana. He's built stuff from stock to wild, of all makes and models. Hes the guy that unscrewed my 440 that another shop had screwed up. His prices are way less than that. Like I said, I'll have less than 4K in mine, granted, I'm assembling my own, he just did all the specs and machining work.

-
Back