Looking to buy/build 500-600 fwhp 360

-
This is something that may be of interest to you Mopar guys. My dad bought this brand new in 1983. I restored it. It’s a Plymouth scamp GT.

96FEEFDE-541A-48A2-8BB8-C4A7A6DAEE43.jpeg

So is appears there are no crate motors that are built for about 1 hp per C.I., and also able to take a 200 hp shot of nitrous. I'm going to have to find a machine shop that will put one together. I have a couple of shops in mind.
Blueprint engines tell me good 360's are getting hard to find. Should I try to sell my good running 360 already in the car, and look for a block? Or should use my current engine as a core because I know what I have? It has about 10k miles on it. We've had it about 30 years.

I have a 65 Barracuda with a 8 3/4 rear diff, 3.55 posi, A833 "hemi" 4 speed, and 10" tire.
I am new to the world of Mopars, and the car has a low (10k) mile 360.
I will be following this thread closely because I am doing the same thing.
Also read this entire post from beginning to end and had to laugh a bit.
im 60 years old and exactly one year ago I was cruising in a 1000 hp 2015 boosted Mustang. Procharged and 6 speed manual.... ran 9's all day long....so yes old guys like hp and can still drive. Someone wanted it worse than me so now its gone.
Now we are trying my first Mopar. It was something I stumbled on accidently in a storage unit...so I bought it.
A-body 1972 Dodge demon. Currently has a mild 360 in it with 727 and 8 3/4.
Same as the OP $$$ isnt a issue and I want more cubes - 408-412-426 small block with a small to med shot of spray.
600fwhp is the goal as well and will keep it as a auto. I get the manual thing - and enjoy shifting as much as anyone - go to the track occasionally but ultimately Im a street racer for $$$ - lost to many races to the auto guys plus manuals break more ****.
@Lurch59 I have found some builders that sell all forged short blocks or complete engines....but they are not cheap. I also have some good builders close to me - by the way you are only one state away from me :)
As I did the Mustang, my plan is to get the car looking the way I want it, suspension and braking in place, then move to the HP requirements. Here is a few terrible pics of the car as I found it.

1.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Maybe if you took a shower or once in awhile you wouldn't offend so many people... LOL..:poke:..
I'm not offended whatsoever.. and I really like the hemi under glass theme and paint for sure... I just more enjoyed watching what people are doing to their cars instead of where they're taking them... Of course we can't do everything ourselves... Most of us don't have a machine shop or paint booth...

J par can be an alright guy once in awhile but he sure gave that “meatball” guy a hard time.

I will be following this thread closely because I am doing the same thing.
Also read this entire post from beginning to end and had to laugh a bit.
im 60 years old and exactly one year ago I was cruising in a 1000 hp 2015 boosted Mustang. Procharged and 6 speed manual.... ran 9's all day long....so yes old guys like hp and can still drive. Someone wanted it worse than me so now its gone.
Now we are trying my first Mopar. It was something I stumbled on accidently in a storage unit...so I bought it.
A-body 1972 Dodge demon. Currently has a mild 360 in it with 727 and 8 3/4.
Same as the OP $$$ isnt a issue and I want more cubes - 408-412-426 small block with a small to med shot of spray.
600fwhp is the goal as well and will keep it as a auto. I get the manual thing - and enjoy shifting as much as anyone - go to the track occasionally but ultimately Im a street racer for $$$ - lost to many races to the auto guys plus manuals break more ****.
@Lurch59 I have found some builders that sell all forged short blocks or complete engines....but they are not cheap. I also have some good builders close to me - by the way you are only one state away from me :)
As I did the Mustang, my plan is to get the car looking the way I want it, suspension and braking in place, then move to the HP requirements. Here is a few terrible pics of the car as I found it.

That's a nice car! Where in Iowa are you? I have a couple of builders here, but they are 3 months out. How far booked are your contacts? I used to live in Iowa.
My car has had the disc brake conversion in the front end. There was a few other mods made but I forgot what they were. I will just set it up as recommended by the racing shop. I'm not a serious racer and I will have to really learn how to shift this thing.

View attachment 1715794306

View attachment 1715794307

View attachment 1715794308

View attachment 1715794309

@Lurch59
I'm in Des Moines. I have a local shop that is looking at Nov. I have not contacted him yet but this is one of the best in the state - Welcome to Eagle Motorsports - Eldora, IA - Custom Engine Building Troy McDonald is the owner, has some good Mopar guys working for him. Just built a motor for JJ Da Boss of Street Outlaws.
Im in the process of doing the 4 1/2" disc brake conversion all the way around right now with a couple of other suspension upgrades. Body is great but adding a 6pack hood to it.
Here are a couple of other engine options for you -
Custom Mopar Crate Engines & Cylinder Heads
408 Mopar 360 based Short Block Stroker Engine All Forged Rotating - Up to 550HP | eBay
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...&level1=Q29tcGxldGUgRW5naW5lcw==&partid=27035

@Lurch59
I'm in Des Moines. I have a local shop that is looking at Nov. I have not contacted him yet but this is one of the best in the state - Welcome to Eagle Motorsports - Eldora, IA - Custom Engine Building Troy McDonald is the owner, has some good Mopar guys working for him. Just built a motor for JJ Da Boss of Street Outlaws.
Im in the process of doing the 4 1/2" disc brake conversion all the way around right now with a couple of other suspension upgrades. Body is great but adding a 6pack hood to it.
408 Mopar 360 based Short Block Stroker Engine All Forged Rotating - Up to 550HP | eBay
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...&level1=Q29tcGxldGUgRW5naW5lcw==&partid=27035
Those seem like some good links, thanks.

I have a couple 489 chunks! I'm trying to reduce the unsprung weight of the car. I'm going to fill the tires with helium. If I still break the diff I will just go with a chevy 12 bolt.

Y'all are letting me get by with some crazy stuff! I was just trolling....surprised I didn't get flamed!

Last edited:
I have a couple 489 chunks! I'm trying to reduce the unsprung weight of the car. I'm going to fill the tires with helium. If I still break the diff I will just go with a chevy 12 bolt.
8 3/4 with a 4 speed and 500 hp ? forget it , just get a Dana END OF PROBLEMS

@Lurch59
So, the stroker short block rotating assembly isn't recommended for nitrous. I don't think hughes engines has time to assemble an engine. That really leaves us with Eagle Motorsports in Eldora, IA. Which, btw, sounded like they could tackle the project. Now I have to decide if I sell my running 360 and find a rebuildable block, or just ship them my engine, they are not too far out on their builds.

So, the stroker short block rotating assembly isn't recommended for nitrous. I don't think hughes engines has time to assemble an engine. That really leaves us with Eagle Motorsports in Eldora, IA. Which, btw, sounded like they could tackle the project. Now I have to decide if I sell my running 360 and find a rebuildable block, or just ship them my engine, they are not too far out on their builds.
IMO ship them what you have.
You know what you are starting with, rather some junk yard piece.

Can a stock block handle 600 to 700 hp ?

That is a good question. I am shooting for 500-600. Altitude has something to do with it, and I am at 3300 ft which reduces the HP about 10 percent. So I will have about 550 HP max at my elevation. It's pushing the strength of the block at this level, I am sure.

-
Back