Looking to buy/build 500-600 fwhp 360

-

Lurch59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda with a 8 3/4 rear diff, 3.55 posi, A833 "hemi" 4 speed, and 10" tire.
I am new to the world of Mopars, and the car has a low (10k) mile 360. I was surprised at the estimated low horsepower and now realize the heads and low compression are some of the issues. I put a performance cam in it and some big tube headers. I was going to spray it but with stock cast parts I'm limited. I'd like to maybe make 400 hp without nitrous with the option of a 200 hp nitrous shot. It will be mostly street driven with occasional racing.
I was thinking of stroking this motor and putting forged internals. At this point I am considering selling this mild 360 and going with a crate motor. I really don't care if I have a stroked 360 or not, but it makes sense to just make a 408 if I'm going to buy a forged rotating assembly. Ultimately I'm looking to run 11's. I figure that should be very doable.
So, build it locally or go with a crate motor?
Thanks in advance for your input!

blueprint1.jpg

A sponsoring member on this site, and a stellar reputation.

Hey Lurch!
I am gambling here when I say I speak for the bunch, but with such a cool build happening.....is it possible to get some pics peppered in?

RAWK!

i thought 400 hp from a 360 was a mild build,...easy as falling off a truck!!
A 408 400 hp not a problem crate engines exceed that.
360 400 hp can be done but you will spend the $money that you can buy a crate engine for. If you can find one.

What is "fwhp"? I thought these cars were rear wheel drive?

Just a heads up since you are new to Mopars, 8 3/4 + 4speed +nitrous + sticky race track = broken rear-end and/or transmission.

Hey Lurch!
I am gambling here when I say I speak for the bunch, but with such a cool build happening.....is it possible to get some pics peppered in?

RAWK!
Sure, I will post some pictures. You can see some exterior pictures posted Aug 6 in the welcome FABO section. It's painted the hemi under glass theme. I will post other pics, though.

I think a 400hp 360 in an Early-A is already an 11-second combo.
Yur down in or very near to, the 7pounds per hp class.
But I told my wife I need a 200 hp shot of nitrous to get there! Better do it my way, just in case you are wrong.......

Just a heads up since you are new to Mopars, 8 3/4 + 4speed +nitrous + sticky race track = broken rear-end and/or transmission.
This is a very good point. A car with the right gears transmission and setup such as yours would only need a true 450 horsepower to approach the 11s and when you talk about 600 horse you're nearly doubling what the factory components were designed to work with. now combine that with the fact that most of them are 50 years old, you will have to address pretty much everything in the drivetrain. That being said it is very doable.

Put a 4" crank and a good set of heads on your 360 block. 500 hp isn't hard to do with the extra stroke.

i thought 400 hp from a 360 was a mild build,...easy as falling off a truck!!
I just want to build it strong enough to handle the 200 hp nitrous shot and live. I don't necessarily want 450 hp on the motor by porting heads, big cam, etc. I have a 690 hp corvette. It has a roller cam, extensive head work to the AFR heads, etc and I just can't hook it up without drag slicks. I'm just thinking stout internals to handle the extra pressures of nitrous, and drive it around town on 400 hp.

A 408 400 hp not a problem crate engines exceed that.
360 400 hp can be done but you will spend the $money that you can buy a crate engine for. If you can find one.
The car has a 360 with about 10k miles on it. It was from a rolled truck. It has been around my dad's shop for literally decades, but I've had it running well in this car a few years ago. But yes, if I'm going to go with an entire forged rotating assembly, might as well sell this motor and start with a crate motor.

Do you think so? The trans is brand new, like 10 miles on it! I thought at 600 hp this combo might live?

This is a very good point. A car with the right gears transmission and setup such as yours would only need a true 450 horsepower to approach the 11s and when you talk about 600 horse you're nearly doubling what the factory components were designed to work with. now combine that with the fact that most of them are 50 years old, you will have to address pretty much everything in the drivetrain. That being said it is very doable.
Trans is a fresh rebuild, and it is the "Hemi" 4 speed. My dad had it build for drag racing. He has the synchronizers modified, something about every other tooth removed. I think the 3rd member on the 8 3/4 is a posi that has been rebuilt. I figured the trans would hold up if they were behind Hemi's. I guess if it breaks I will have to upgrade to a Lenco and Dana 60. Just kidding, don't really want to do that...

Last edited:
Trans is a fresh rebuild, and it is the "Hemi" 4 speed. My dad had it build for drag racing. He has the synchronizers modified, something about every other tooth removed. I think the 3rd member on the 8 3/4 is a posi that has been rebuilt. I figured the trans would hold up if they were behind Hemi's. I guess if it breaks I will have to upgrade to a Lenco and Dana 60. Just kidding, don't really want to do that...
The transmission is fine.. I don't know what he's talking about... Now the 8 3/4...
With a 4 speed and sticky tires... That could be a problem... Ask me how I know...
Also the 200 nitrous shot ain't just throw a bottle in the trunk... $1500-2k done correctly.. ask me how I know...
Advice: build a separate engine or buy the blue print... You should be deep into the 11's with all motor.. ask me how I know.. a couple 2-3k in rear suspension and shocks, a clutch tamer and you should be seeing tens all motor ..
And don't forget your roll bar under 11.5...

pictures! pictures! pictures!
sorry, love those pro-shifted hemi trans and hot rod builds!

@ jpar.....how do you know?:poke::lol:
20170509_094335.jpg

Fast enough to do high tens all motor but no rear suspension or good shocks....
20151128_141857.jpg

Snapped the caps off...

:D....
IMG_20200616_180914.jpg

Now Lurch, I don't know how to ask this without comin off as a smartass....and I promise, I'm not....BUT......and bear with me......

Do you know WHAT 500-600 HP even feels like, or are these numbers you're just reaching outta the sky for? A lot of people have never driven or been in a car with that much power. All too often we get newbies or kids (not saying you're either....I don't really know) and they just spit out numbers they've read about in magazines or on forums. 500-600 HP will get you deep into the tens and possibly faster in a light A body.

I am asking simply because If you don't want something "that fast or quick" it's gonna save you a lot of cash. Help us out here.

Now Lurch, I don't know how to ask this without comin off as a smartass....and I promise, I'm not....BUT......and bear with me......

Do you know WHAT 500-600 HP even feels like, or are these numbers you're just reaching outta the sky for? A lot of people have never driven or been in a car with that much power. All too often we get newbies or kids (not saying you're either....I don't really know) and they just spit out numbers they've read about in magazines or on forums. 500-600 HP will get you deep into the tens and possibly faster in a light A body.

I am asking simply because If you don't want something "that fast or quick" it's gonna save you a lot of cash. Help us out here.
Like and agree. Very diplomatic Rusty. I was thinking the same when I read the first post.

-
Back