Looking to get front end weight down.

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to remove my inner fenderwells on my 70 dart drag car. I haven't weighed my 470 stroker but I'm guessing it's around an all iron 360.
I'm going to be running fenderwell hookers so I figured I'd just remove it all instead of just cut the big holes.. Im guessing it's a spot weld hunt & drill out.
I'm looking for pictures please and details.
Thank you too all.

I would never remove the inner fenders on a uni body car. They are what tie the whole front end of the car to the frame. Without them your front frame rails will be like a spring board. At the end of the day you really wouldnt be removing much weight at all. I would look towards some lighter rims. If your running factory steel, a set of aluminum rims can be a significant reduction in unsprung weight.

I would never remove the inner fenders on a uni body car. They are what tie the whole front end of the car to the frame. Without them your front frame rails will be like a spring board. At the end of the day you really wouldnt be removing much weight at all. I would look towards some lighter rims. If your running factory steel, a set of aluminum rims can be a significant reduction in unsprung weight.
Thanks, however I'll be adding frame ties from my cage to the frame rails tied into shock towers. I have light wheels already, it's a purpose built race car or is going to be. Many people do what I'm asking, that's why I'm asking How they did it?
Oh and the frame rails from front to back will be tied and welded to the floor boards. It will be much stronger than the factory spot welds

I wonder what those weigh.
With them gone, to what will you bolt the fenders, to keep them from going AWOL at speed? If they go, what's to stop the grill and maybe the hood from also deserting?
If you put some tubing back in to hold everything together........ To me it seems like a lotta work for a few pounds, that your 470 will never appreciate. but what do I know, I'm no racer for a reason,lol.

I wonder what those weigh.
With them gone, to what will you bolt the fenders, to keep them from going AWOL at speed? If they go, what's to stop the grill and maybe the hood from also deserting?
If you put some tubing back in to hold everything together........ To me it seems like a lotta work for a few pounds, that your 470 will never appreciate. but what do I know, I'm no racer for a reason,lol.
Hi Aj, Well I think it's around 30 pounds.
It's hard to describe but under the fenders where they bolt to the inner fenderwell I will cut a 1/4 inch under the bend, I believe that will save the strength for fender mounting. That piece is also welded into the core support & firewall.
Over time, money permitting I'll be buying glass fenders. The goal for now is to stay in the low 10.00 time, till I can afford to replace parts for sfi and go faster

I hear ya but even 30 pounds, at your powerlevel is what ? 4hp maybe 5........ Shoot I can loose that in a day or two off mabelly.lol
It's like 33.3 hundredths of a second lol

Okay, I'll try again, and do it right this time, lol.
It's in general discussion, Oldmanmopar's thread, "my son bought a car so we can build a gasser".
I hope his pics are what your looking for.

Okay, I'll try again, and do it right this time, lol.
It's in general discussion, Oldmanmopar's thread, "my son bought a car so we can build a gasser".
I hope his pics are what your looking for.
Cool thank you for your time looking that up

My son bought a car so we can build a Gasser.

We also lightened the motor and trans up considerably for the Demon. LOL

195.JPG

GF062_70_72_Dart__Demon_Pro_Front_End_4.jpg

For a dedicated race car I wouldn’t hesitate removing the inner fenders. Light is right!

If you do any kind of street driving I would leave them in. One of my friends cut his out of his race car (race only) and now wishes he didn't, due to all the crap that flies up under the hood...everything gets dirty. He said it was not worth the trouble or the weight savings since he had to put tubes in place from the fire wall to the frame rail for stiffening...kind of a wash. The only benefit he liked was it was a little easier to work on the engine.

If you subtract the weight of the inner fenders you must also add the weight of the roll bar which is quite heavy so the weight savings is not a big as one would think. IMHO

The small 3/8” air belt sander with genuine 3M belts is the way to go to cut the spot welds. Cleanest way to remove what you want and keep what you need.

Inner fenders = 30 lbs?? no way. I have a pair out in storage I can weigh. Im betting 10 lbs or less.

Just a side note if you cut the inner fenders might want to look at tying the shock towers into the roll bar. On my old race car someone before me made the frontend 1 piece removable ,

IMG-20120107-00134.jpg

My 71 Dart weighs 2750 small block 727 backhalf car. Removable fiberglass front end. Same nose as pictured in thread. It's still very nose heavy close to 60 percent. Must be the W2s.

-
Back