Looking to Purchase a 5.9...a few questions

-

cudakid67

Reaction score
Looking into purchasing a 5.9L engine locally and want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. At this point, the info I have is that it's a 5.9L out of a 97 van and is 8th digit Z. It is complete and is in the vehicle and running. Is this the correct engine for a swap?

Stupid question, all 360's after 1992 were Magnum only, correct? They didn't make both LA and Magnums at the same time.

Last edited:
If it's a '97 engine it will be a Magnum. Easy way to tell. If the intake bolts are @ an angle: LA If they are straight up and down: Magnum.

mopardug is correct, but I will add that you should make sure they give you the flexplate too, as many of the 5.9 Magnums were weighted.

B-Van Magnum is the best option for an Abody but only because it puts the Power Steering pump lower and out of the way of the A-body battery tray.

Technically they did produce LA and Magnums at the same time but only 1 year 1992
The 5.2L came out in 1992 but the 5.9L was an LA still that year
The 5.9L Magnum didn't come out until 1993

Magnum uses a crank sensor in transmission bellhousing,so if you are using an older transmission it will need to be notched. Auto/manual use a different crank sensor so if you are going to manual trans yo will need to do more research.

Magnum uses a crank sensor in transmission bellhousing,so if you are using an older transmission it will need to be notched. Auto/manual use a different crank sensor so if you are going to manual trans yo will need to do more research.

Only if he’s keeping the factory fuel injection. Not an issue if he’s going to carburetor it.

If you plan on using the factory fuel injection the 96 up has OBD2 format for the PCM (more tunable). Get the engine harness as well as the PDC (fuse panel). Also get the flexplate if it's automatic, flywheel if it's manual. Most likely automatic if from a van. The flexplate is weighted and different from the 5.2 and older 360 flexplates. Use a neutral converter. The fun part is putting together a fuel system for the factory fuel injection, but it's doable.

-
Back