Looks like I need an axle..

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It appears that I am going to need an axle For my Coronet. It's a 65, but has the early tapered axle rear end in it. The threads on the end of the driver's side axle are messed up beyond repair. My machine shop says they are hardened and the although he can build it back up and cut new threads on it, that it will not hold. I trust his judgement. So, can yall tell me which models and years will be the same? Does anyone happen to have an old tapered axle they might want to trade for some carburetor work or sell cheap? Thank you drive through.

I have a tapered axle 8 3/4 rearend. How wide is the axle housing you have and I will measure the one I have and see if they are a match. I would just ask for the axle length but it is still together and I don't want to break it down just yet if not necessary. PM me.

66/67 8 3/4 should be a direct swap in and be within an inch (if not less) in width.

That will solve the press on drum issue.

They are around if you look and are patient.

About $100-$150 (minus the chunk, but you already have that).

There are three within 25 miles of me.

I have the drum issue solved. I've got everything for that conversion. I got both axles out this morning. I didn't even have to sneeze on the slide hammer and they came right out. I knew for SURE those threads on the driver's side axle would collapse, but they held.

44" center to center on the perches.

I'm callin it 53" flange to flange. I have to come over the center section so that throws the measurement of a little.

-
Back