Looks like mileage is right?

-

Rrage

Reaction score
The 63 valiant I have says 27000 miles great condition 170 took allot of original parts off engine.so some rust showing on fenders ect...I'm taking it apart it has been undercoted and zbarted back in the day? The question I have is what did Chrysler use on the inner fender mount ?looks kinda green and brushed on? But has lasted 50+ years

Pictures would help a great deal :)

15307276981751427710735.jpg

Looks like Z Bart to me. Chrysler never drilled holes to put on Master Shield. Chrysler stuff should look like dried grease by now. That car stayed out of the crap in the rust belt. 127000 miles I bet

Last edited:
Looks like Z Bart to me. Chrysler never drilled holes to put on Master Shield. Chrysler stuff should look like dried grease by now. That car stayed out of the crap in the rust belt. 127000 miles I bet
I would think that too allot of inspection marks original valiant stamped cap, wires ,Mopar plugs ,63 alternator burns no oil the only one I've had that burns no oil...strange car almost no chrome no radio/ seatbelts ,plugs still there .wiring is beautiful shape definitely had a fender replaced and touch up paint applied no other bodywork until now anyway?

One has to be careful about assuming what the mileage actually is on any used car especially ones with 5 digit odometers. I've seen cars with 227K miles that were garage kept that could have easily passed for 27K miles. Personally, 170's I've owned have always held up better than any of the 225's I've owned so no burning of oil doesn't surprise me even at 127K mi. I bought a car once with a mint original interior that was marketed as ultra low miles based on the interior condition. I was able to track down the original owner who said he personally had put over 300K on car in the first five years he owned it using for work as a salesman, but had seat covers put on the day after he bought it. So the original fabric never saw the light of day until the person I bought the car from removed those covers. Maybe it's true, probability says it isn't. If your happy with the condition of the car for the price you paid, it's a winner! I'd agree that, given your PA location, if the car is also from PA, it's low winter mileage and was certainly well cared for. To answer your question regarding the green coating, it's the remnants of the chemical bath the lower the welded unit bodies were dipped in. While proprietary (secret) per Chrysler, in some literature, they called this a phosphorus bath, used to treat the metal and inhibit corrosion. Best of luck with your great find !!

One has to be careful about assuming what the mileage actually is on any used car especially ones with 5 digit odometers. I've seen cars with 227K miles that were garage kept that could have easily passed for 27K miles. Personally, 170's I've owned have always held up better than any of the 225's I've owned so no burning of oil doesn't surprise me even at 127K mi. I bought a car once with a mint original interior that was marketed as ultra low miles based on the interior condition. I was able to track down the original owner who said he personally had put over 300K on car in the first five years he owned it using for work as a salesman, but had seat covers put on the day after he bought it. So the original fabric never saw the light of day until the person I bought the car from removed those covers. Maybe it's true, probability says it isn't. If your happy with the condition of the car for the price you paid, it's a winner! I'd agree that, given your PA location, if the car is also from PA, it's low winter mileage and was certainly well cared for. To answer your question regarding the green coating, it's the remnants of the chemical bath the lower the welded unit bodies were dipped in. While proprietary (secret) per Chrysler, in some literature, they called this a phosphorus bath, used to treat the metal and inhibit corrosion. Best of luck with your great find !!
Thanks for the info ! I've owned 25 different early a bodies this is by far the best I've owned this one for 8 yrs decided to freshen up the paint I never really thought about the mileage being real but allot of wierd things I'm finding it's fun

After 50 yrs little clips on inner fenders still there

-
Back