Loose heater box?

-

bmoparmofo

Reaction score
Hi working on my 67 Barracuda, the bolts are tight out on the firewall where the blower motor sticks out. But from inside the car I can still move the Box somewhat up and down? Is there anything that would cause this I thought the only thing that actually bolted it up was out there on the firewall? Also on the heater controls on the white plastic parts where the cables slips on is there anything that's supposed to go on after the cable is on to secure it?

Is the J-bolt in the vent area to the cowl fresh air flange still there?

That is what supports the weight at the back.

Looking up into the passenger side behind the fresh air intake door. Rod is J hook,red-orange is underside of cowl
104_1481.JPG

Thanks I can feel a bolt up there or a rod that feels loose? I'll have to go out there in the morning and see what I can see.. does it tighten up somehow or does it just hook on?

Did you remove the heater? There is also a gasket between heater and firewall that might have disintegrated, but my bet is on the J hook as Alaskan_TA pointed out.

Also on the heater controls on the white plastic parts where the cables slips on is there anything that's supposed to go on after the cable is on to secure it?
Yes little metal clips, IIRC, similar to what is on the other end but I think they screw onto the plastic, after clipped.

Yes little metal clips, IIRC, similar to what is on the other end but I think they screw onto the plastic, after clipped.
Thanks I've seen the clips that hold the housing of the metal cable on. Does anybody have a picture of what kind of clip is supposed to go on the white little plastic part on the heater control? Apparently I'll be on the hunt for some of those..

Post a pic of white plastic part? I'm assuming you are talking the vacuum switch?
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow it's just on the heater control switch or the cable end slides onto it.. there are two white tabs and one metal tab for the three cables

I will have to go look at a controller. If there was a keeper there it would have been the razor thin little push nut things, same as on heater box end attach points. When there is a door movement problem the cable/wire doesn't bend and come off the plastic stem. The stem breaks. I've replaced the plastic stem with brass screw in two 67 model cars over the years.

Last edited:
I will have to go look at a controller. If there was a keeper there it would have been the razor thin little push nut things, same as on heater box end attach points. When there is a door movement problem the cable/wire doesn't bend and come off the plastic stem. The stem breaks. I've replaced the plastic stem with brass screw in two 67 model cars over the years.
Right, that's what I was thinking not sure what they're called or where to order some of those little push tab things? You are correct if there was a problem and they would just pop off.

Quick picture of the heater control you can see the cable just laying loose on the white plastic piece there are two hooked up like that the third cable is on metal.

20190616_170323.jpg

Also good call on the J hook being the problem for the loose heater box. Thanks gang. On the three heater control cable hookup is it right that one of the cables goes to an arm on a heater box that's in between the tubes coming from the heater core I believe? Also on the fresh air door I took off to get to the J Bolt it was screwed on by somebody is there supposed to be something that has hinges on there so the store actually opens and closes properly? Sorry for all the questions hopefully I am getting ready to get out of this heater box nightmare! Thanks again gang!

We find push nut keepers for cables at heater box ends. We might find screws added to the cable clamps at heater box also. Failure at manually operated mechanical controllers can be by design.

We find push nut keepers for cables at heater box ends. We might find screws added to the cable clamps at heater box also. Failure at manually operated mechanical controllers can be by design.
So would anything go on up at the heater controls though it seems like the cable would just pop off if not? Also the one rod that comes up between the heater core Inlet and return does that look like it's in the right spot the rod feels extremely loose? Not sure what kind of damage this guy might have done taking it apart he doesn't look like he was too gentle... also there's a disconnected ground wire somewhere by the blower motor the other end of it runs down to what would be behind the passenger side kick panel but not sure where it hooks up on the heater box?

Screenshot_20190617-174240_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190617-174249_Gallery.jpg

I found some pictures in another thread of that rod in between the two heater core Inlet and Outlets... just not sure on that ground wire? Thanks again

Trying to get that rod attached that's in between the heater core pipes. The picture I found on here the bracket is somewhat different mine feels like it's just straight in and out without a Bend so the bracket keeps falling out? Different than the picture that I found that I'll attach.. did they have different brackets different years?

Screenshot_20190617-175109_Chrome.jpg

Looks like your missing a top washer that snaps on top of wire end.
I believe so I have to get some of those to try to hold everything together. Still trying to figure out where that ground wire goes that comes from the passenger side kick panel area up towards the blower motor.. I will be very happy to be done with heater box time...lol

In my 67, the ground wire goes on a screw between the heater core tubes. They aren't all exactly the same. I'll try to get a look at some of this later today. Didn't get down there yesterday.

None of the climate controllers I have here still have the cables attached so I can't say if there were keepers on the stems or not. I don't think there were any. Simplest way at the one metal stem would be bend it 90 degree yet they didn't do that either.
Pic shows ground wires under screw at heater core tubes.
The lower end of door rod is straight. It exits close to the edge of the box. Best I could tell without taking it apart, that the hole is slotted which would be the simple way to maunver the door into place. The metal back plate has the rod/door captured.

heater case.JPG

None of the climate controllers I have here still have the cables attached so I can't say if there were keepers on the stems or not. I don't think there were any. Simplest way at the one metal stem would be bend it 90 degree yet they didn't do that either.
Pic shows ground wires under screw at heater core tubes.
The lower end of door rod is straight. It exits close to the edge of the box. Best I could tell without taking it apart, that the hole is slotted which would be the simple way to maunver the door into place. The metal back plate has the rod/door captured.

View attachment 1715351818
Thanks very much for the information and the picture. I will be very happy to get to a different section on the car instead of the heater box!

-
Back