LORDIE Check out this midair, NO-body hurt!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score

Metroliner pilot after midair: 'I'm good, though'

0512_colorado_midair_metro.jpg

I think that company that made the plane with the parachute is going to get a few more orders.

My daughter lives as the eagle flies less than 5 miles from the airport. Tons of houses in that area. So glad no one got hurt!!!

Reminds me of the kids song "bear hunt"

We can't go over it
We can't go under it
We've go to go through it

I think that company that made the plane with the parachute is going to get a few more orders.
That has been "a thing" now for a number of years. No idea the number of people it has saved. Of course you do actually have to buy one and install it, and be "high enough" that it will open.

According to this...........

400th save from whole aircraft parachute

400 as of 2019

Problem with modern instrument panels and pilots admiring all the bells and whistles instead of looking out the damn windshield. "Hey we've go a chute, who cares". That false safety blanket for low time pilots with the funds to buy one and have had more crashes than most of the rec aviation fleet. Also shows why we discourage straight in final approaches flying VFR in Canada, join the damn circuit and take a number...

Problem with modern instrument panels and pilots admiring all the bells and whistles instead of looking out the damn windshield. "Hey we've go a chute, who cares". That false safety blanket for low time pilots with the funds to buy one and have had more crashes than most of the rec aviation fleet. Also shows why we discourage straight in final approaches flying VFR in Canada, join the damn circuit and take a number...

Some of you might remember we had a VERY sad mid-air here. A long time business gave lake overflights, had a VERY nice old Beaver. Other aircraft was from "out of town." Anyway you slice it, both pilots flew right into another aircraft............8 dead

KathrynsReport.jpg

Some of you might remember we had a VERY sad mid-air here. A long time business gave lake overflights, had a VERY nice old Beaver. Other aircraft was from "out of town." Anyway you slice it, both pilots flew right into another aircraft............8 dead

View attachment 1715737076

"VERY nice old Beaver"..........................isn't that a Cougar????:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

For those of you interested in further information on this incident, I recommend the "blancolirio" channel on Youtube. Very concise, factual presentation by a current airline pilot.

For those of you interested in further information on this incident, I recommend the "blancolirio" channel on Youtube. Very concise, factual presentation by a current airline pilot.
Yeh!! I watch him quite a bit

Amazing that the green plane didn't fold in half after losing so much of the fuselage.
Check out some battle damaged B-17s that made it home. One had 1 control cable intact. Said it was the only thing holding the tail on. There was an F-15 that lost an entire wing from the nacelle on out. Pilot didn't even know until he noticed fuel leaking out that side of the plane. A few Navy jets have taken a cat shot launch with their wingtips still folded up. Now how that happens is beyond me as 8 guys are hooking you up and the launch officer has to send you!

Check out some battle damaged B-17s that made it home. One had 1 control cable intact. Said it was the only thing holding the tail on. There was an F-15 that lost an entire wing from the nacelle on out. Pilot didn't even know until he noticed fuel leaking out that side of the plane. A few Navy jets have taken a cat shot launch with their wingtips still folded up. Now how that happens is beyond me as 8 guys are hooking you up and the launch officer has to send you!

When I was at Miramar some jock launched "and flew" an A7 Corsair. It did not fly far. A fellow tech saw it. He saw it on the runway, first thought it was some sort of engine test, or taxi test. Said the jock got into the throttle, then must've thought something wrong, got off, THEN GOT IN AGAIN and took off!!! I believe that was the one that penetrated a RAT through a roof and into a baby's bedroom

From Wiki:

16 March
A U.S. Navy A-7 Corsair II departs NAS Miramar, California, for USS Ranger with wings folded, crashes into a row of houses in a San Diego suburb. Lt. Robert F. Schreiber (also reported as Schreiver), 29, ejects

Our ETC "TACAN" expert at Miramar, who we called "whiskey body" once told me (in the early 70's) that he was pretty sure that every aircraft the navy had managed to get off the deck with wings folded at least once

That midair collision with that metro could have ended very badly. Sometimes it's amazing how much damage they can have and where before they fail. Anybody remember the aloha air 737 convertible? It lost the top half of the fuselage in the first class cabin area from pencil whipped inspections that overlooked structural fatigue cracks forming in the fuselage. It finally let go and the top came off. Rapid depressurization, took a flight attendant out with it.

mages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-oaWFIJiIddxw0_GzzB3CeVz8x2DgFk_yxsd-gd_a132XWHqIGdLLKc1AB9r_GqJQlos&usqp=CAU.jpg
m5u8tzW8D282cuUN.jpg
19430201AllAmericanB17inFlight.jpg
B-17_Damage_Cologne-1280x720.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

B-52 pilot didnt even know he lost his rudder! There was also the story of 2 B-17 bombers stuck together that flew level enough to allow the crew to bail out. The pilot and co-pilot crash landed the 'top' plane and survived unscathed. All survivors captured POW's but alive.
54d560948536289a34d440b8da72a868-1280x720.jpg

Its easy to not know the rudder is gone as it doesn't turnthe plane. The ailerons do that. The rudder merely coordinates the turn.
We had two pilots punch out while on the runway at Scott AFB yesterday. Still havent heard why.

-
Back