low compression

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
So i was sitting here and had a thought:
What kind of BB mopar can be built with low compression to handle pump gas and make some big hp-naturally aspirated, no NOS etc...? Any ideas or tried and true methods?

A well thought stock stroke 400.

I just wonder if this would be worth attempting to build/research and run on a dyno...i like to think about "what could be"

I have a friend who swears by the 400. He runs one in a gasser style Gremlin that sees 10s. I think it's .030" over. Stock crank. Iron heads. 9:1 through millin. lol

So i was sitting here and had a thought:
What kind of BB mopar can be built with low compression to handle pump gas and make some big hp-naturally aspirated, no NOS etc...? Any ideas or tried and true methods?

I have a 383, Eddy heads runs on 91 no problem..likes 110 as well...
On the dyno it hit 499 HP..

See thats what im talkin about-499hp on pump gas...what do you guys think max compression would be for 91 octane?

about 10.5 to 1 with aluminum heads and a lot of bleed off on the cam.

Ya think? I wouldda thought alum wouldda stood a lil more than that. Even with a short cam.

Whats low compresion for you? Or your idea of low compresion. A stock smog year engine can be a wonderful 7.8-1 like a few I had. It's quit a departure from a 10-1 aluminum head.

Yup. If you're careful though and cam accordingly, you can even make one of them wheezers run pretty strong. lol I've seen it done and done it myself.

Compression is at 10.75, solid Hughes cam htl4852bs3...and it runs strong and pulls hard..fun motor if anything, was a fun build..hope this helps

I'm there now. 400 in a Duster.

That could be fun. I look at the low compression thing as a challenge. One thing's fo sho and fo certain. You can pull up to the cheapest pump.

We should all build a factory smogger compression era motor stick um in sumffin and call it the "Wheezer Association".

Thats really the idea, more power, less octane, ANY pump...i think it would be a really good build

The trick is matching the parts. It's not lower compression that allows a properly designed engine to run on pump fuel. It's matched parts and careful machining. The last 505 I built was 11.2:1, RPM heads, and runs fine on 89 w/10% ethanol from any minimart.

The trick is matching the parts. It's not lower compression that allows a properly designed engine to run on pump fuel. It's matched parts and careful machining. The last 505 I built was 11.2:1, RPM heads, and runs fine on 89 w/10% ethanol from any minimart.

Compression is at 10.75, solid Hughes cam htl4852bs3...and it runs strong and pulls hard..fun motor if anything, was a fun build..hope this helps
No, not really. First, lack of parts description,second, is 10 - 1 plus really a low compresion ratio?

To ya both;
LOL, big deal, if ya know what I mean. I can build a 13 - 1 mill and run it on 87 as well. I'll just select the biggest cam in the book and retard the timing so it don't ping. But is 13-1 ratio really a low ratio. Is a 11.2-1 low?

I think, just IMO and thinking out louc here a second.....

I think the OP is on a wave length of what was stock. Not pump gas-able.
What would you both do with a near zelch ($0) budget and a low compresion 400 or 360? Stock pistons, no block milling no fancy crank off set grinding.

Design a set up to make power at a REAL low buck budget. Lets sweeten the mix with NO HEAD PORTING. Since this is a true low budget build. Assume the heads are dead stock, small valved and good to go. This takes rebuilding the heads out of the picture and as such, you can not squeezzzeee in commensts like,"Well, for only a few bucks more, you can back cut the valves."

WRONG, that's money spent that is not available. Come on now, the basics.

We'll accept headmilling.

Challenge on!

Now, who can not just type in thebuild, but actually do it and show it! I gotta '71 Duster w/a 400/727. It'll take awhile....the car is not in state.

Right. That's what I thought the discussion was about. Working AROUND low compression to make power. Not making high compression work on pump gas. We already got a million of them frikkin threads. Sticking with low (stock smog era) compression really turns on a challenge.

Now, who can not just type in thebuild, but actually do it and show it! I gotta '71 Duster w/a 400/727. It'll take awhile....the car is not in state.

I can tell you what all I had in a stock compression stock bore 1971 360 about 15 years ago. Would that count?

-
Back