Low Dollar RV 440 into a '79 Dodge Magnum

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just documenting the process. That's it. It's not a "what should I do?" thread. It is NOT a performance build. I could not care less what it runs in the 1/4 mile.
Our 1979 Dodge Magnum ...............
Magnum.jpg

is getting the 383/tranny pulled because it is running a fever :D
and replacing it is a RV 440 and 727. We have the parts for the 440 and all to prepare it to transplant into a car. That list includes....

• oil pan/pickup tube
  • all new gaskets
  • timing set
  • 440HP valve springs w/damper
  • balanced flexplate
  • 727 from a '73 400 car
  • stock car replacement neutral balanced converter

Process will include cutting the heads .030 to make up for the thicker fel pro head gaskets, valves will be done by me and some mild casting clean-up. We'll set the valve timing 2* advanced. Exhaust will be HP manifolds with dual exhaust.

And oh, what makes it low dollar? Engine and tranny together was 500 (400 engine/100 tranny).
  • 400.00 bucks for the 440
  • 135.00 for the timing set and gaskets from Summit
  • 68.00 for the valve springs shipped from Rockauto
  • 268.00 Pan & tube, flexplate and intake gaskets/valley pan from 440 source

Last edited:
I had a 37' 1977 Fortravel, Based on a D300, the Mill drove me nuts for a second, as it used peanut plugs.... aka small (5/8") plugs. I imagine them particular heads don't flow that good being an emissions engine from 1977. It moved the motorhome though. Damn thing was actually mint, I wish I had kept it! Have fun the Magnum hard to run pretty good with the bigger block in there. Maybe take the heads off your 383 and slam them on that motor

I had a 37' 1977 Fortravel, Based on a D300, the Mill drove me nuts for a second, as it used peanut plugs.... aka small (5/8") plugs. I imagine them particular heads don't flow that good being an emissions engine from 1977. It moved the motorhome though. Damn thing was actually mint, I wish I had kept it! Have fun the Magnum hard to run pretty good with the bigger block in there. Maybe take the heads off your 383 and slam them on that motor
Heads on the RV 440 should be 452 castings, which has the hardened seats :)

Process will include cutting the heads .030 to make up for the thicker fel pro head gaskets, valves will be done by me and some mild casting clean-up. We'll set the valve timing 2* advanced. Exhaust will be HP manifolds with dual exhaust.

And oh, what makes it low dollar? Engine and tranny together was 500 (400 engine/100 tranny).
  • 400.00 bucks for the 440
  • 135.00 for the timing set and gaskets from Summit
  • 68.00 for the valve springs shipped from Rockauto
  • 268.00 Pan & tube, flexplate and intake gaskets/valley pan from 440 source
Using the stock bump stick?

Heads on the RV 440 should be 452 castings, which has the hardened seats :)
Hope so! Were not on my RV. But again it was a 1977 who knows what the hell they did! Lol. All I know is I went to the store to get the plugs and I got the standard 13/16 style plugs went back there they didn't fit so I pulled one of the little ones out took them back and had them matched up. I've got a good set of 452s, that have been ported out in the shop. A block of transmission crank some six pack rods I've been wanting to put that together for a minute. Like since 2010 I think....

Always liked those Magnum's, that one is in nice condition. I'll be watching like always! 65'

Following along! I like that magnum! Did you get a garage? That thing is huge !

A new timing chain will stretch at least 2 degrees once it's used for just a short time. I would plan on advancing it 4 degrees on install.

Tom

Years ago I had a 78 Magnum with a 400 in it. The 400 crapped the bed due to the PO's lack of maintenance, so I replaced it with a MH 440 and truck 727. It was amazing how much better it ran with an extra 40 inches and a decent transmission.

We are trying not to let winter stop the project. Temps are down, but our "drive" on this project is up !! My mornings are very short, but this morning we worked on the 440. Unless we hit a major stump, I suspect this project will move along quickly. I will say, progress won't be posted here until I post it on my channel.

FYI for the EXtreme Budget folks: I also think it's worth mentioning that what we are doing to the 440 is really out of "choice of want to" and probably not out of necessity. If somebody really wanted to go cheap, I doubt they need to replace the valve springs, or timing chain (and there were cheaper sets than what we bought) as it is supposed to be a low mileage unit. And, for further cost savings, using the weighted "lo stall" from the RV would have saved the purchase of the flexplate. Just saying, no doubt I could have put this 440 in and had it running for under 500 bucks.

Again, what we are doing/or any upgrades to it is just our personal preference of choice.

I know my moms old 73 imperial with a 440 really moved that barge down the road.

-
Back