Low Dollar RV 440 into a '79 Dodge Magnum

-
I know my moms old 73 imperial with a 440 really moved that barge down the road.
I got into Mopars by my grandfather, had a couple New Yorkers, him and Grandma, (God Rest Both) got brand new in 1971, four doors, power Everything, with the 440 4 Barrel. Those cars would piss all over a Cadillac! In 1974 and 1975 we went all the way up in the Canada visit my grandmother's dad pulling an Airstream. Not one issue with those things! Believe it or not even though I'm 52 years old and my mind's kind of fried I remember parts of that Journey up until this day and I was born in 1971 so it was four and five years old respectively....so
MOPAR FOR LIFE!!!!

I got into Mopars by my grandfather, had a couple New Yorkers, him and Grandma, (God Rest Both) got brand new in 1971, four doors, power Everything, with the 440 4 Barrel. Those cars would piss all over a Cadillac! In 1974 and 1975 we went all the way up in the Canada visit my grandmother's dad pulling an Airstream. Not one issue with those things! Believe it or not even though I'm 52 years old and my mind's kind of fried I remember parts of that Journey up until this day and I was born in 1971 so it was four and five years old respectively....so
MOPAR FOR LIFE!!!!
I remember taking alot of family vacations in the old Imperial, its still sitting in the garage.

I remember taking alot of family vacations in the old Imperial, its still sitting in the garage.
Wow Man, now that Is COOL BROTHER!!!!!!! Grandpa went through three of them in the early '70s, the blue one, a burgundy one and I think a red one. Seem like at one point he was trading them in every year or so.. it's possible one of them was an imperial I just remember they were all Chryslers and I do remember one of them was definitely a New Yorker.. that's awesome your family still has that hanging around man that's cool as heck hopefully she stashed where she's in good shape!

Wow Man, now that Is COOL BROTHER!!!!!!! Grandpa went through three of them in the early '70s, the blue one, a burgundy one and I think a red one. Seem like at one point he was trading them in every year or so.. it's possible one of them was an imperial I just remember they were all Chryslers and I do remember one of them was definitely a New Yorker.. that's awesome your family still has that hanging around man that's cool as heck hopefully she stashed where she's in good shape!
It is sitting in a heated and AC garage.

At least re curve the rv distributor. The advance on those things is sloooooooow

BEAUTIFUL, Family Heirloom, I Hope. Wish I had Grandpa's, nothing wrong with a luxury land yacht!
Its just sitting where it was shut off at, the last time it was drove, 15-20 years ago.

Its just sitting where it was shut off at, the last time it was drove, 15-20 years ago.
Yeah Brother, but that's Awesome Man, I bet if you put your mind to it, for a second, you could have that thing running in no time! That's a beautiful thing she's in a climate controlled area man!

we'll do that for sure !
Hey brother sorry for side walking on your post a little bit, the old Big C bodies bring back memories... I could be mistaken though I think you're Magnum might be a b but I'm not even going to get into that I just wanted to apologize

Hey brother sorry for side walking on your post a little bit, the old Big C bodies bring back memories... I could be mistaken though I think you're Magnum might be a b but I'm not even going to get into that I just wanted to apologize
the Magnum is what many refer to as the "forgotten B-bodies" :) Along with Cordoba's, and Chargers of the same years

the Magnum is what many refer to as the "forgotten B-bodies" :) Along with Cordoba's, and Chargers of the same years
I was pretty positive she was a "B" body I just didn't want to stick my foot in my mouth! I try not to say something unless I'm 110% positive I know it's the truth, it's the right way of doing it, or just the correct fact or whatever...

I was pretty positive she was a "B" body I just didn't want to stick my foot in my mouth! I try not to say something unless I'm 110% positive I know it's the truth, it's the right way of doing it, or just the correct fact or whatever...
These Magnums are only 2 years, and were designed more arrow dynamic for Richard Petty. He didn't like the way they handled at 190 mph. When I get mine to 190 mph, I'll let you know my opinion :D His son went on to win with the car in the early 80's. So there is some history here.... and now with the legendary 440 - a historic icon in itself !!!

These Magnums are only 2 years, and were designed more arrow dynamic for Richard Petty. He didn't like the way they handled at 190 mph. When I get mine to 190 mph, I'll let you know my opinion :D His son went on to win with the car in the early 80's. So there is some history here.... and now with the legendary 440 - a historic icon in itself !!!
Well when you think you want to push it to 190 you let me know! I want to ride shotgun! I bet with a near stock 440, a decent dual exhaust, and 2:76 (another one I should have kept) enough long road you can probably tic close to that number, now what you'd have to do to the car to glue it to the road at that point... oh wait I read the first part of this thread, yet here we go strip on adventure racing you got to love it and it's in Mopar the possibilities are endless!

Since I no longer have any Mopars of that era, I'll happily donate some ABBA, Bee Gees, and Donna Summer 8-tracks to this project! :p Kidding... I've had a few of the later B-bodies including a T-top '79 300. They're actually pretty great cars. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

I bought an 18K-mile 440 out of a '76 CB300 for $300. One could still feel the crosshatch in the bores and the bearings hadn't gotten through the protective coating on 'em. The first thing I did (and about the only thing so far) was mill the heads .070", which still leaves me sub-9:1 with the factory pistons. I measured the head gaskets, piston-to-deck distance, and CCed the heads during disassembly. The factory's advertised compression, which if memory serves was 7.6:1, was a far cry from what it actually had: just a blonde one under 7:1. Oy.

Since I no longer have any Mopars of that era, I'll happily donate some ABBA, Bee Gees, and Donna Summer 8-tracks to this project! :p Kidding... I've had a few of the later B-bodies including a T-top '79 300. They're actually pretty great cars. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

I bought an 18K-mile 440 out of a '76 CB300 for $300. One could still feel the crosshatch in the bores and the bearings hadn't gotten through the protective coating on 'em. The first thing I did (and about the only thing so far) was mill the heads .070", which still leaves me sub-9:1 with the factory pistons. I measured the head gaskets, piston-to-deck distance, and CCed the heads during disassembly. The factory's advertised compression, which if memory serves was 7.6:1, was a far cry from what it actually had: just a blonde one under 7:1. Oy.
Good Save Sir!

Unbelievably clean 440 .... all except one cylinder. I didn't do my usual and close the valve and lubricate the cylinders before storing. What a stupe I can be sometimes :( Does indeed have 452 heads. We checked oil pressure as well. Heads is where the time/work will be. Other than that, it will just be assembly and hope the one cylinder cleans up nicely.

Unbelievably clean 440 .... all except one cylinder. I didn't do my usual and close the valve and lubricate the cylinders before storing. What a stupe I can be sometimes :( Does indeed have 452 heads. We checked oil pressure as well. Heads is where the time/work will be. Other than that, it will just be assembly and hope the one cylinder cleans up nicely.

Nice video. It looks like the engine was maintained fairly well.
The only thing I saw, is you need a matching pair of gloves. lol

So if it were still a 360 car would you be converting it to a BRB?
Well, I'm just trying to get it on the road and the easiest way for me is to swap in the 440. If it were a 360 in the same situation, I'd probably put in a 318 I have.

-
Back