Low spark/No start

-

64dartbrian

Reaction score
Hey I just rebuilt my 225 slant 6 it is about ready to start but has little to no spark. I timing is correct (I double checked that it was correct). I checked the primary coil and got about 1 ohms and about 10.5K ohms on the secondary coil. From what I have seen my coil should be good. I also checked my ballast resistor and got about 1.5 ohms between the two terminals. This also looks that it is good. I have new spark plugs that are gaped to .035. I have also not changed anything with the distributor or cap. I am wondering what else I should do, or if anyone has more suggestions.

You have to check that you're getting 12 volts at the coil when cranking. Maybe a little less but you need more voltage when cranking to get it to fire. You need 2 people to check this, unless you connect voltmeter to coil and put meter on front cowl so you can read it thru windshield.

OK let's back up..........What year model, this is important..........

What "is" the ignition system?

Factory breaker points?

Factory electronic?

Some sort of aftermarket electronic?

If you have breaker points, it could be as simple as a "going bad" condenser or points that are worn/ burned

Don't forget to charge the battery! With a low battery, the starter is gonna be stealing most of the electrons, leaving your ignition system with whatever is left over.

Last edited:
Check the condenser in the distrib they just go bad. The new ones suck.

Well he ain't been back, so either another "fly by" or he's out there with his long sleeves wrapped up in the belt

-
Back