Lower 1967, 1968-9 convertible windshield trim alternative.

-

wjajr

Reaction score
Since I got this Dart march of ’08 the windshield has been leaking at the fires hint of moisture. It quickly flows from outside around edge of the glass to inside causing flooding of dash. Sometime ago I had posted questions about differences between 67, and 68-9 ragtop windshield gaskets and related clips. For those wondering 67 used a one year only plastic trim with independent corners that all sort of pressed into the gasket and ‘67 clips, where ‘68-9 uses a gasket with a lock bead in all four sides, and a stainless steel/ plastic aftermarket lower trim strip that clips in to cover lower gasket. Any of you that have had to replace that 68-9 lower trim find it to be rather expensive, and hard to find.

My car had a lot of body work done to it in the early nineties, and a new windshield & gasket installed. I suspect the lower trim was more difficult to source than now. At the time the gasket was changed to a 68-9 stile so that is a big plus over the dreaded 67 only mess of a gasket & trim system.

The other day I finally decided to locate a glass company willing to reseal an A Body windshield, apparently these cars have a nasty reputation for poorly performing windshield gasket sealing as most outfits wouldn’t even look at it never mind performing the work.

Portland Glass not only gave me a price, but happily did the work. They removed the lower trim, pulled the locking strip from its channel, cleaned the glass to gasket surface, and applied a 3M bedding product that stays supple. So far there have been no leaks, so I reapplied the non-conventional trim today.

After cleaning booth surfaces of old adheasive, new double sided stick 3M trim advasive was applied to the trim, and 5/8th inch trim installed to lower gasket.

After cleaning windshield gasket:
003-3.jpg

5/8th inch (self-stick) plastic wheel well trim:
004-2.jpg

Old plastic trim is back in place. I would have purchased new material, but did not need thirty feet of the stuff at over a buck a foot… My thoughts were at some time I will replace the windshield, gasket & trim with new, so this chepo repair will do for now:
005-1.jpg

All 67-69 convertibles used the same gasket and same lower plastic/chrome-ish lock strip. We have two 67 convertibles and one 68. The 68 should still have its original windshield. I cannot comment on the other two, but they may be original. Any competent glass shop can seal any of them...

The difference in gaskets is in the fixed roof cars...

All 67-69 convertibles used the same gasket and same lower plastic/chrome-ish lock strip. We have two 67 convertibles and one 68. The 68 should still have its original windshield. I cannot comment on the other two, but they may be original. Any competent glass shop can seal any of them...

The difference in gaskets is in the fixed roof cars...

Xs2.

Brought this over from another thread.....

i have sold the 68 69 bottom stainless piece for convertibles.
you trim it and glue it on.
at carlisle 2 years ago i actually sold a trim piece to a guy from canada.
later he told me it did great.
(OMMITED gas cap)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=203155

I Have always wondered about this but haven't tried it. If this is correct just grab the lower stainless off a 4 door Dart or Valiant and give it a try. Since the glass is a different height those moldings can be had really cheap so there is no reason to pay big bucks. The cowlings show to interchange between two door and the four door Darts so the trim should be the same. Anyone that tries it please post their results for us all to see.

This thread = back from the dead. I need to install the windshield in my 67 Dart convertible. I had ordered the over priced repro locking strip from Year One. After waiting months they emailed saying it was discontinued. Kind of relieved, if this 4 door piece works, it should be nicer than the plastic junk piece anyway.

Can anybody confirm that this works, and what years would I be looking for?

I think a lock strip of some sort put into the gasket will be required to prevent leaks no matter what is used for pretty reveal.

Brought this over from another thread.....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=203155

I Have always wondered about this but haven't tried it. If this is correct just grab the lower stainless off a 4 door Dart or Valiant and give it a try. Since the glass is a different height those moldings can be had really cheap so there is no reason to pay big bucks. The cowlings show to interchange between two door and the four door Darts so the trim should be the same. Anyone that tries it please post their results for us all to see.

I don't have a picture to show, but I can tell you from experience with my 67 Dart GT convertible that all of the trim is different for the hardtops than the convertibles. The convertibles have wide chrome trim around all but the bottom and the hardtops have skinnier chrome strips all the way around from what I have seen. I tried putting the lower strip from a hardtop on my car and it was too long and differently shaped at the ends. However, you might try buying the lower trim like I did and shaving the ends off to solve the differently shaped ends and length issue. Just a thought.

Previous posters are correct...you either shell out for the correct stuff, or go without completely.

Apparently, Laysons has the correct lockstrip/reveal molding back in stock...part #IN-CM8... Contact member "Rick@Laysons" for best experience.

-
Back