Lower Ball Joint How to?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My Ranger (I know, it's a Ford) needs lower ball joints pretty badly. They have been creakin and squeakin now for a long time. Gotten to the point I can feel the creaks and squeaks through the steering wheel and brake pedal. Not good.

Although the lower ball joints are press in type, a lot of later Mopars have those, including trucks and vans. Since I have to do it, I thought I would write a ball joint how to and maybe it could be a sticky.

Now, word to the wise. My method of installing press in lower ball joints is WRONG by the book. So get off your high horse before you ever get on it. LOL However, to me, it is both easier and faster than a conventional press. With all that said, would yall be interested?

You remove the snap ring and beat the old one out with a hammer. On a Ford like that it's pretty handy because you don't have to drive the old one out from the bottom. If you can think of a way to get the new one in without a press let me know. It took all the grunt I had to install the new ones with a press.
For the record. Rockauto beat the snot out of anyone elses prices. It was worth the three days it took. I did both ball joints, tie rod ends and stabilizer struts for about $120.00 shipped.

You remove the snap ring and beat the old one out with a hammer. On a Ford like that it's pretty handy because you don't have to drive the old one out from the bottom. If you can think of a way to get the new one in without a press let me know. It took all the grunt I had to install the new ones with a press.
For the record. Rockauto beat the snot out of anyone elses prices. It was worth the three days it took. I did both ball joints, tie rod ends and stabilizer struts for about $120.00 shipped.

moog parts?

No. I didn't buy the Moog. As a rule I usually buy the one that's one step down from the most expensive part. As it was the Lower Ball Joint in Moog was only $18.60

Well, after inspecting the way the ball joints are actually installed on the truck, by the book it's gonna have to be. So, I will still take pics and do a how to if yall are interested.

Just did the ones on our 99 Explorer. It is a 4x4....took the Jesus Clip off, one good smack with a 5 lb sledge and they were out. Big c clamp to get them back ion...

Yup. That's the way. I caint use a hammer though. Well......I could but the black cloud that follows me around tells me no.

Well, after inspecting the way the ball joints are actually installed on the truck, by the book it's gonna have to be. So, I will still take pics and do a how to if yall are interested.

Rob, Why not use an OTC ball joint press tool ?

That's a option too. I have done these by putting a large 8x8 block of wood under the ball joint, and taking a large section of pipe, driving the control arm, down onto the joint. Also not by the book, but effective none the less

That's what I am going to do now. I have no choice. I didn't realize the ball joints face down on the Ranger. If they face up, there's a much easier way.

That's a option too. I have done these by putting a large 8x8 block of wood under the ball joint, and taking a large section of pipe, driving the control arm, down onto the joint. Also not by the book, but effective none the less

Very similar to what I had planned.

I'm interested in a write-up with pics. I have a 97 Explorer awd that I am going to tackle in a week or so. Uppers (the whole control arm!), lowers, and tie rods. By the way, if you didn't get them already, google some Advance Auto promo codes. I used one code, trt41 I think, twice now, and I was able to get all moog stuff for much cheaper. It knocks $40 off of a $100 order! They always have crazy codes. BIG50 knocks $50 off of a $175 order. A 22" radiator for a 74 Dodge D100 is around $177...for $125 shipped to my door I'm sure it will cool a mild mag 5.9 and I'll make it fit my 68 Dart lol.

Thanks.....but I have no cash. Ball joints are about to break so I put them on my Summit card. I know. Facepalm. But I had no choice.

-
Back