Lower Radiator hose for Slant 6 in a 68 Valiant

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I've tried several local parts stores and online purchases, but every one of them I had, I had to take back for a refund. Does anyone know the right part number for the lower Radiator hose that fits the slant 6 in a 68 valiant? The ones they keep selling me are either not molded to fit it or they are too short!!!

I've tried several local parts stores and online purchases, but every one of them I had, I had to take back for a refund. Does anyone know the right part number for the lower Radiator hose that fits the slant 6 in a 68 valiant? The ones they keep selling me are either not molded to fit it or they are too short!!!

20465 Gates is correct -- sounds like you may have a nonstock radiator in your car. Does the outlet (lower) hose fitting come off the radiator at an upward/outward angle? Or is it just a plain straight-rearward fitting?

I have a Goodyear 60664 lower hose on my 64 Valiant slant. Probably was listed at rockauto. I added coiled stainless wire to prevent collapse under suction (Harbor Freight sells rolls). The hose has a slight aft bend to clear the alternator belt perfectly. My radiator is non-standard (no idea for what car), w/ straight-back lower port about where a correct slant radiator port would sit. I probably cut off the lower end to match. That is typical w/ many hoses, 1 PN for many cars and you must cut to fit. No need to ever be orphaned since hot rodders fab custom hoses all the time. Slant has a 1.5" lower hose, which is the standard size for upper hose on most engines, so many options. Rodders like the F150 upper hose since long w/ many bends, and $8. Can cut and rotate on an in-line splice for more combinations. The splice can be a blingy blue or red aluminum piece w/ filter, temp sensor, or such (ebay). Much slicker than those ugly universal bellows hoses.

I added coiled stainless wire to prevent collapse under suction

This is a myth—an old one that refuses to die. If the lower hose is under suction, it's because the radiator is severely clogged and the cooling system's not holding pressure. What's needed is not a coil of wire that's going to rust and crud up the system (further), what's needed is overdue cooling system maintenance and repair.

-
Back