Lower steering column bearing?

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Hello,

I just picked up a 1974 floor shift column and am in the process of going over it before I install it in my 73. During inspection I noticed the lower steering column bearing is shot (just above the coupler joint). I did a quick search online and found them for $85.00 does anyone know where I can get one cheaper, it doesn't have to be OEM.

Thanks,
Brandon

I've only seen the expensive replacements too but doesn't mean something cheaper isn't out there. How do you consider it "shot? In a column shift column the bearing supports the end of the shift tube at the bottom within the outer jacket. In a floor shift column the shift tube isn't used at all so the bearing really doesn't act as a bearing at all, it just supports the tube. The the bearing is broken or missing then the shift tube will flop around inside the jacket potentially hitting the jacket and steering shaft.

Below is an outer jacket, bearing, and shift tube with the lever cut off (and without the steering shaft) in a column that was converted from column to floor shift. Does yours look anything like it?

snapring.jpg

"Shot" as in there are no ball bearings, they are all gone. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are suppose to be ball bearings in the grooves pictured. The only "replacements" I can find have a ball bearing in a poly bushing mine is all metal.

Thanks for any info. you can share

DSC02333.JPG

DSC02334.JPG

DSC02335.JPG

It really is just a glorified bicycle bearing. So maybe a bucycle shop would have it. Would it be cheaper there ? Dunno . Good luck

[

Below is an outer jacket, bearing, and shift tube with the lever cut off (and without the steering shaft) in a column that was converted from column to floor shift. Does yours look anything like it?[/quote]

Column convert!!! Now you got my attention. What do you mean converted? I also need a column for floor shift and can't find one for my 70 Duster. So lets talk conversion.... How did you convert? I've seen the shift and reader cut off and filled in .May do that... but convert what?? How??

"Shot" as in there are no ball bearings, they are all gone. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are suppose to be ball bearings in the grooves pictured. The only "replacements" I can find have a ball bearing in a poly bushing mine is all metal.

Thanks for any info. you can share

Sorry, I assumed you might have the simple bushing (pseudo bearing) arrangement - not an actual bearing. I don't recall under what circumstances the factory used a true lower bearing vs. bushing - maybe manual trans cars.

I also need a column for floor shift and can't find one for my 70 Duster. So lets talk conversion....

You either need the upper 3 sections of the column from a floor shift car (which I did) or, as you mentioned, cut off the indicator and lever boss and fill in the holes. It's basically pot metal which is soft and easy to cut and grind. If you're good with body fillers it wouldn't be hard to do. You'd want to back the holes on the inside with something before filling them in though. The other thing to cut off would be the lever on the end of the shift tube. Total disassembly first would be the way to go. By convert I meant different parts or mods.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I went down to the local bicycle shop and found a bearing that fits perfect both ID and OD for less than ten bucks.

Thanks again

hehehe Pack it with white lithium grease and happy moparing

Sorry, no numbers on it. All I know is that it is a tapered/sealed bearing originally designed for a a crank on a BMX style bicycle.

Brandon

-
Back