LRT K member steering arm failure

-

Dusterhoss

Reaction score
As I was looking thru the front end of our '67 Cuda I noticed the wheel was not sitting correctly. Come to find out the steering arm is cracked back towards the lower ball joint. Does anybody have a lead or suggestion on a reeplacement. I have seen the AJE billet units it is just hard to tell if it would be a compatible replacement in our system.

PXL_20220910_160055472.jpg

PXL_20220910_160822158.jpg

Edit, I can't read.

What's the car used for? I see multiple issues.

I wouldn't run that arm even if it wasn't cracked. That stuff being welded is asking for issues like this. I get it, race car parts, but still. Ok, rant against welded steering components over.

First, is that monster spacer from the tie rod. When you input steering, it's trying to twist that arm along it's axis, back to the ball joint, as well as bending. Picture attaching the tie rod at the tip of that arm, then it's only bending, plus it gets that bolt far away from that tire.

Second, that arm needs triangulation, to prevent deflection and movement from the bending action we just talked about. This is likely what lead to the crack. That arm should have a flat horizonal plate much wider than the arm is, preferably going back and encircling that lower ball joint.

Third, what's that bolt at the upper ball joint? That upper control arm is sketchy as hell, but I'll give it the ' race use only' exemption, but I see a weld around that socket for the upper ball joint? If so, then is that whole tab for mounting the upper ball joint bolted to the control arm? Scary, so I'll assume I'm misunderstanding the picture.

Fourth, that lower ball joint is severely over angled. Is it at it's limit of motion? If so, the entire weight of the front end of that car is trying to lever that ball joint out of its socket, or just break it clean off. I'd investigate that.
Edit to add, is that an upper ball joint in the lower spot? I'm no ball joint engineer but I HIGHLY doubt that's kosher. I could be wrong (that's my datum, actually) but I don't think the upper ball joint has a rigid enough housing for lbj duty. Chrysler used that monster dammit FORGING (NOT a casting) for a reason.

I'm not sure I even want to see how that lower ball joint is mounted to the spindle. Frankly, the engineering shortfalls I see from my armchair are enough to make me wonder why the hell anybody would strap themselves into a car relying on these parts, let alone after broken welds start manifesting. I'm assuming this was all done to get rack and pinion steering.
Toss that ****. There's got to be a better way.

Just because they make it for your car does not mean you need to pay for it and then bolt it onto your car.

Last edited:
I’m gonna go with drag race only based on the tire, rim and brakes. Or at least, that’s what it should be because none of that is street worthy.

The upper arms look like the Gen 1 SPC adjustable, which IMHO are fine.

That’s exactly what they are, same as on my Duster. Nothing wrong with the UCA’s, I run them on the street and have for quite awhile now.
A0719040-C144-40D7-9479-EFD43A82AFCE.jpeg

That lower steering arm is sketchy as hell though, among other things…

The scary part is any of us could line up next to garbage like this and potentially be caught up in a accident. Scary indeed. Garbage suspension execution for SURE

I’m gonna go with drag race only based on the tire, rim and brakes. Or at least, that’s what it should be because none of that is street worthy.
Preach it, brother. I wouldn't run any of that even race only. The stock stuff would be an improvement.

-
Back