Lube Questions

-

BobW

Curmudgeon At Large
Reaction score
I have a new to me '64 Valiant convertible, 225 /6. Rear is leaking, I have bearings & seals on order, got capacities from an online manual. I'm in Florida, high heat.
They recommend 90 wt. for the 7 1/4" rear, yes or no?
I also have a 4speed, with a 6-14-77 date stamped on it. Recommend 140 wt., yes or no?
While we are at it Dino or synthetic?

You'll never get everyone to agree on this one.
But I'll go first and let everyone else take potshots at me.
First, Dino oil. Synthetic tends to weep or bleed through gaskets and seams on these old beasts. They were designed with Dino in mind, no reason to second guess that on a stock or mild build.
90w in the rear, with limited-slip additive if needed.
For the trans, check the appropriate year FSM- factory recommendations changed over the years. I've never gone wrong with 90w in a four speed, and I live in the frozen tundra...
:popcorn:

You'll never get everyone to agree on this one.
But I'll go first and let everyone else take potshots at me.
First, Dino oil. Synthetic tends to weep or bleed through gaskets and seams on these old beasts. They were designed with Dino in mind, no reason to second guess that on a stock or mild build.
90w in the rear, with limited-slip additive if needed.
For the trans, check the appropriate year FSM- factory recommendations changed over the years. I've never gone wrong with 90w in a four speed, and I live in the frozen tundra...
:popcorn:
Totally agree, I considered synth in the rear only because I'm replacing the seals. Gonna stick with 90wt Dino there.
Searching around I see Brewers recommends 85-90 synth for all 4 speeds, but I'm not changing seals so I'll stay with 90wt Dino there as well.
I also figured out my trans is an OD unit.

-
Back