Lugs not staying tight

-

flynlady

Reaction score
I have old Cragar s/s small bolt pattern. I've replaced the lugs with a new set and their still not staying tight. Any suggestions? I can't afford to replace the wheels just yet but i don't want to die either!!!

Thanks!!

Are these a dedicated pattern, IE "not" unilug? ANY chance you have the wrong nuts?

I like that - I don't want to die either. That's good to hear! If you have unilugs, it may be an issue anyway. I torque mine to 120 psi.

What's a unilug?

Yes, I do believe they are the correct lugs for the wheel. I don't have a tourque wrench, YET.

Tightening procedure: using a criss-cross pattern, then I ask my husband to "man tighten" them ....

What's a unilug?

Yes, I do believe they are the correct lugs for the wheel. I don't have a tourque wrench, YET.

Tightening procedure: using a criss-cross pattern, then I ask my husband to "man tighten" them ....

Tighten them and go to the nearest torque wrench or tire shop

Are there washers? The bottom of the nuts have a shoulder that goes in the wheel, the clearance is fairly tight.

As far as torque the sbp stud is 7/16"-20 thread, standard wheel torque is 55 to 65 ft-lbs. The special lug likely has more friction on washer and sides, so 70 to 80 ft-lbs is typically used on Cragar wheels. I have used 70 ft-lbs without a problem for the past 20 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0863 (800x761).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 411
Check the length of the lug nuts. If the shank is too long they will bottom out before being tight. I found this problem with my friend's car. We had too trim the ends a little and they were fine.

unilug wheels have oval holes for the studs so that they can fit on different bolt patterns. They require special washers to fill the oval hole. Most people tend to stay away from unilug wheels and buy the proper wheel for their car.

go to harbour freight and buy a torque wrench and torque your wheel nuts at 75 lbs and you should have no problems. I would also check to see that the wheel nuts are in fact not too long and have washers on them.

go to harbour freight and buy a torque wrench and torque your wheel nuts at 75 lbs and you should have no problems. I would also check to see that the wheel nuts are in fact not too long and have washers on them.

I used to go to Harbor Freight about twice a year. Now, it's about every other week ... Always have my coupon though!

go to the nearest NTB or Discount tire and have them check to make sure you have the proper lug nuts for the wheel you have on the car. what year is the car. is it only one side of the car this happens on? I always had a problem like this on my 68 charger with the left hand thread wheel studs.

go to the nearest NTB or Discount tire and have them check to make sure you have the proper lug nuts for the wheel you have on the car. what year is the car. is it only one side of the car this happens on? I always had a problem like this on my 68 charger with the left hand thread wheel studs.

It's a '66 Valiant. I'm not sure I trust NTB ... Had a bad experience a few years ago. It does seem to be only on one side, now that I think about it. I'm going to get a torque wrench from Harbor Freight and get torqued correctly first.

So how did you make out?

It's a '66 Valiant. I'm not sure I trust NTB ... Had a bad experience a few years ago. It does seem to be only on one side, now that I think about it. I'm going to get a torque wrench from Harbor Freight and get torqued correctly first.

torque and use blue lock tight

Do not use locktite on your lugs ,just a small amount of antiseize

I actually throw a little grease/ oil on mine. Wheels which HAVE been a legit problem is some of the cheaper "spoke" steel wheels that used to be so popular. They used a flat stamped sender, and had no raised area around the nuts. These were constantly a problem on my friend's 3/4T 4x4

I have small bolt pattern on my 67 barracuda crager ss Ive been torqueing them to 90 with no problems, that works for me.

I like that - I don't want to die either. That's good to hear! If you have unilugs, it may be an issue anyway. I torque mine to 120 psi.

Psi?
You mean foot/pounds.
120 ft/lbs is too much for a 7/16'' stud anyway.
Use the fsm for proper torque values.

Are you using the proper lug nut gaskets?

Bad lug nut gaskets can allow the torque to leak out.

-
Back