Mac Tool Info

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This sums it up: it was written by a fellow Mac Tools Distributor. The set for sale was made in Dallas with global components. If We (MAC) purchases a detent ball or a spring for the ratchet or even the plastic box from somewhere other than the US, Uncle Sam says we need to disclaim "Global Components" Buy what ever tools you want and can afford. Most of my customers have tried the cheaper lines and agree that major brand quality is worth the extra money if you make your living with your tools. tmm

Launchin

Re: mac tools made in taiwan?
Mac Tools Hard line plant is located in Dallas, Texas. They make ratchets, wrenches, sockets etc. The made in Taiwan stuff the post was started on is made buy a vendor who has their items made in Taiwan. It still has to meet Mac's quality standards and carries the lifetime warranty. Yes it is called Mac edge. It's the best stuff going right now. The reason we carry it exclusively is it will remove a nut or bolt that has been rounded off up to 70%. There is no other product like it on the market. Flank drive will spin on a nut or bolt that this stuff will remove. I have sold Mac edge to customers that have just rounded a nut or bolt with their brand X flank drive and the Mac edge removed it every time.

Yes Mac is owned by Stanley but operates independantly. Our new ratchets are made in Italy by a company called Facom which was purchased by Stanlely a couple years ago. Very high quality. Facom is a French company. So you see it's not just Taiwan. Mac has stuff made by many vendors all over the world. Most is still USA.

Out pear head ratchets are made in Texas. New ones are made in Italy. Want to have some fun and break some ratchets. Secure a bolt and hang a Snap-on ratchet off the side parallel to the ground. Start hanging weight on it till it breaks. Hang that same weight on a Mac ratchet. It will just sit their and smile. Our ratchets are 20% stronger than the competitor. Use new ratchets when trying this.

Air Tools; Mac has atleast 6 different air tool vendors and IR is one of them.

Mac's Tools boxes are made in Georgetown, Ohio and they are the best made and can be made to order as well. Our Macsimizer utility cart is the only utility cart made in the USA. No other vendor has a made in teh USA cart.

When you get on a Mac truck and see non Mac Tools product it is acquired by our Warehouse Solutions program. This is driven by the customer. If they want brand X we can get that for them and will honor that manufacturers warranty. It's about service and Mac has the best program on the planet. We also have distributors world wide. Mac has distributors in Canada, England, Japan etc.

As far as made in Taiwan, China etc, there are thpusands of tool companies out there. Most dream of doing business with Mac. If they have a product that our customers want we will carry it in our line as long as it meets our quality standards.

As fas as Mac Motorsports program. Mac tries to participate in most forms of motorsports. We provide tool Sposorships to about 70% of Nascar and NHRA teams. Nascar: Hendrick, Roush, Michael Waltrip, Petty, Gibbs, Stewart Haas etc. NHRA: Kalitta, Force, Bernstein, Prudhomme, Lucas, KB Racing, Edwards, and many many more. When considering where you buy your tools from try to support the tool (Mac) manufacturer who supports your sport the most and offers the best warranty in the business.

I used to buy a lot of tools from Mac Tools. Then my distributor had ordered for me a bushing press tool that was in their new products sale flyer. He put it on my acount & I had paid for it in full prior to it coming in($250). His excuse was it was back ordered becuase they had taken too many orders for it & ran out & if I wanted it I should pay for it to secure my spot when it came off b/o. After 2+ months I decided to change jobs & go to another dealership closer to home & he assured me he would ship it out to me when it came in. Another 2 months go by & after him not returning my calls I had to call one of my buddies when I knew he was there, had him put him on & ask him where was my tool? He gave me some BS that he shipped it & must have used the wrong address. Funny all my receipts had the right address on them! Long story short he screwed me & went out of business shortly there after. So I contacted the area Mac Tools manager & he refused to help me telling me it was a deal between me & my former dealer. So I will NEVER buy another tool from MAC!! Poorest excuse for customer service I've ever experienced from a company. I know there are a lot of good tool dealers out there but the corporation needs to support its customer better than that!

I used to buy a lot of tools from Mac Tools. Then my distributor had ordered for me a bushing press tool that was in their new products sale flyer. He put it on my acount & I had paid for it in full prior to it coming in($250). His excuse was it was back ordered becuase they had taken too many orders for it & ran out & if I wanted it I should pay for it to secure my spot when it came off b/o. After 2+ months I decided to change jobs & go to another dealership closer to home & he assured me he would ship it out to me when it came in. Another 2 months go by & after him not returning my calls I had to call one of my buddies when I knew he was there, had him put him on & ask him where was my tool? He gave me some BS that he shipped it & must have used the wrong address. Funny all my receipts had the right address on them! Long story short he screwed me & went out of business shortly there after. So I contacted the area Mac Tools manager & he refused to help me telling me it was a deal between me & my former dealer. So I will NEVER buy another tool from MAC!! Poorest excuse for customer service I've ever experienced from a company. I know there are a lot of good tool dealers out there but the corporation needs to support its customer better than that!

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Your distributor took your money when he was having financial problems and then went out of business. You would have to take the distributor to small claims court and possibly you would get your money back. If you PM me your name and contact info I will turn it and your situation directly over to MAC. They need to know the problem and how you feel about it. I can't promise any results but I will go to bat for you. Toolmanmike

Mac has some nice tools, no doubt. They are on top too........for now. When Flank Drive came out, Snap On was on top a long time. Flank Drive ain't junk. Believe me, If the Mac system is that much better (and I don't doubt it) Snap On ain't gonna take it layin down. lol They've all traded places with the best stuff and I think that's good for the customer. Competition always results in better products. Mac, Snap On and Matco are some of the finest tools in the world. I oughtta know. I got two boxes full of all of them.

Here's an interesting fact Stroker, MAC pioneered the Flank Drive concept in the 60's. When the patent ran out Snap-On picked it up and ran with it. tmm

Well, I', not gonna argue about which is best. They all have different little things the other does not. I tell you what I do have that's one of my favorite Mac tools. It's a 1/4 drive flex hear ratchet. I'v actually never seen another one like it. The head on it is less than 1/2" in diameter. It's a tiny little thing. Had it probably 20 years. It was one of those things I just had to have, you know man? I saw it and I was like "that's the groove, man". I think it was 95 bucks if I remember. But man I tell you, that thing has let me get to more stuff than a conventional 1/4 ratchet wouldn't. I never heard that about the Flank Drive before, but it kinda makes sense. We gotta Mac man that comes by, but I don't like him. I was missin a 3/8 drive 1/2 intermediate length six point socket. So I went to the truck when he came by. He didn't have one. A 1/2" socket. He didn't have it. SO I said "nevermind man, I gotta friend in Macon who's a dealer". The next week, I'm off the day he comes by. So he has a socket and bills it to my boss, Rodney and leaves it with him. I never told him to order it. So, now I gotta pay Rodney for it, and the right thing to do is pay Rodney some mark up. It's just the right thing to do, you know? So this Mac cat ain't gettin another dime from me. His truck could be the last tool truck in the world man, and I'd work with stones and bearskins. Know what I mean?

I hate hearing stories like that and I don't agree with those kind of sales tactics. I don't assume the sale. I don't like it done to me and I don't do it to others. I would talk to him and let him know how you'd like to be treated. If he's got half a brain he will apologize and it won't happen again. Wish I was closer LOL tmm

I did mention it. He acted like I didn't say anything. Yeah, I wish you were closer too. I gotta lotta yall on here i wish were closer. Lots of cool cats on here.

i agree with stroker, they all have their pro's n con's . most of it is about the Dealer.
that being said my dad worked for Snap-On for 30 plus years ( not as a dealer - in the office) i have owned many different manafactures tools and boxes
most of my boxes are now Snap On none of the other ever held up to the abuse we
put them threw. i bought plenty of tools from my original Mac dealer ( was a great guy)
still have the first welder i bought from him ( rebadged lincon ) works great.
much like anything else you are going to buy and be loyal to who ever takes the best care of you.

I'll see if I can nail down some specific dates. I just sent a question to HQ. I hope to get a answer back tomorrow.

tmm

Oldie but goodieT.T.M. Any chance a part number tl85/87-101 available still?Pick up lead assembly for a TL-87 dialback timing light.Much appreciated,Tim.

I ordered one for a customer a couple years ago. I'll check for you and pm you with an answer. tmm

The last part number for the plug in lead set was #29505. It has been discontinued by the manufacturer quite a few years ago. I will check and see if someone has one laying around. tmm

My Mac dealers ALWAYS got my stuff warrantied. The Strap-on guys always whined and hem-hawed around, thus sealing their fate.

Mac even warrantied the taps (which didn't break all that often). That's a first. I hope that they'll warranty the LH drill bit that didn't break, but untwisted itself. That would be cool!

I've got them all, Cornwell service kicks all their asses.
Only company that has stood behind their product
even after I left the trade.

Cornhole tools were always good to me, but the dealer network here is pretty weak.

I gotta screamin deal from the Mac man yesterday. ..and it had to be screamin for me to do business with his sneaky *** again. lol I gotta 1/2" air drill from him for 30 bucks. Works great. Oh.....it's a Blue Point. LOL

How long did they have the patent for? When did it run out?

Here's a quote from Headquarters: When Mac first introduced this feature, it was called Mac Drive.(1950's) This is a design feature on the box end of a wrench that makes it more effective when working on a fastener.

S/O did go for the patent. When the S/O patent ran out, Mac reintroduced Mac Drive. Most all of the wrenches we sell now have Mac Drive on the box end of a wrench.
tmm

Hey Mike,
Why is it that I can't buy a set of tools with just 6-point sockets? Every "mechanic's set" I look at has a dozen or so 12-point shallow, another dozen or so deep in both metric and standard and some even have 8-point. Then they all include 50-100+ screwdriver, or allen bits to up the tool count.

Basically, I would just like to be able to find a set that had 6-point sockets from 3/16"-1 1/2" and 5mm-32mm in shallow and deep with maybe the lower sizes in 1/4" drive, middle sizes in 3/8" drive and the larger in 1/2" drives. Why must companies make it so difficult without buying 3-7 different sets to make the set I want? I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this way. Ok.....small rant/question over.

My Mac dealers ALWAYS got my stuff warrantied. The Strap-on guys always whined and hem-hawed around, thus sealing their fate.

Mac even warrantied the taps (which didn't break all that often). That's a first. I hope that they'll warranty the LH drill bit that didn't break, but untwisted itself. That would be cool!

Snap on warranties all hand tools and of course your taps and extractors too. And yes they would warranty your unbroken LH drill bit that untwisted. Should be worth a few pics.

Snap on warranties all hand tools and of course your taps and extractors too. And yes they would warranty your unbroken LH drill bit that untwisted. Should be worth a few pics.

No kiddin. I'd like to see the untwisted drill bit myself.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Your distributor took your money when he was having financial problems and then went out of business. You would have to take the distributor to small claims court and possibly you would get your money back. If you PM me your name and contact info I will turn it and your situation directly over to MAC. They need to know the problem and how you feel about it. I can't promise any results but I will go to bat for you. Toolmanmike
Thanks Mike, If I have time I will dig up the info on it & PM you with the details. I certainly don't want to give the impression that tool salemen are bad or that Mac tools are not good- they are. I really just think the area manager was disinterested & quite frankly, lazy. But maybe if the corporation is made aware of how things are handled in the field they will set up a better way to protect the consumer & in doing so their good name.
I'm confident Mike that you are one of the good guys out there along with so many others, unfortunately like any other trade, the bad guys make it tough on everyone else. Thanks for your kind offer.

-
Back