Made a little shelf for my lady.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
My woman wanted to buy this POS shelf thing for like a 100 bucks, when I saw what she wanted I told her. "I'll just make it."

I used some old bar stock and a chuck of poplar. I think the poplar realy looks good vs some garbage painted MDF that you get at IKEA.

Took about 3 hours so, yeah it probably cost ALOT if I think about it like that but it's not on shop time. Just a Sunday project.

IMG_3343_zpsotqhq9aa.jpg

Realistically it cost me less than 20 bucks.

I think shes gonna be happy with it. Gotta lay a few more coats of clear and hit it with some fine paper tomorrow.

That's pretty nice! Mine would have looked like ***.

My woman wanted to buy this POS shelf thing for like a 100 bucks, when I saw what she wanted I told her. "I'll just make it."

I used some old bar stock and a chuck of poplar. I think the poplar realy looks good vs some garbage painted MDF that you get at IKEA.

Took about 3 hours so, yeah it probably cost ALOT if I think about it like that but it's not on shop time. Just a Sunday project.

View attachment 1715294596

I think shes gonna be happy with it. Gotta lay a few more coats of clear and hit it with some fine paper tomorrow.

Nice.
And it wont break if you lean on it...lol

View attachment 1715294596

Yes!! That type of wood is very poplar.:rofl:

As a trim carpenter I use to work with poplar a lot and always thought it was a very underrated wood. I've seen some that was so colorful it was a shame to see it painted.

I dug through the stack at the depot and found this nice chunk. At 2.50 a foot it's not only cheep but very nice. In the light its, green, purple, red and tan.

I've been kicking around the idea of building a high end jewelry box out of it for a while now. After seeing it here with a very cheep clear stain I think I will make one.

Do a nice chunk of poplar with a white oak triple stripe inlay that raps around the entire box, lift out tray and some knife work around the top edge. I think it would be a nice change from all the cherry wood boxes?

Now I just need about a week off work to make it. So if I take a week off I just gotta sell it for 5 grand and I'm good.

How much do you love your wife? Any takers?

:rofl::lol::rolleyes::(

Let's see. 20 bucks÷3 hours=6.66 an hour..

Dam I should have started selling these long time ago.

IM GONNA BE RITCH!!!

$20 ... that’s nice
Making something with your own hands for your wife ... PRICELESS!
You’re ‘da man, Cope!

-
Back