Made in USA air tank

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
A year or two back, I posted looking for a Made In USA air bubble, commonly used for airing up tires and such.
I looked high and low and all I could find were aluminum racing tanks that were $$$$, and I couldn't even find older made in USA tanks.

I never liked the stuff from Harbor Freight, especially when some crappy Chinese weld and a fake pressure cert could kill me.

One day, on McMaster Carr, I came across these tanks while looking for something else. The price was a little high (as is McMasters policy) but it said right in the description, Made In USA and I have no issue spending more to keep my fellow Americans working. McMaster is good for this and I spend thousands with them annually just because of this.

The label on the tank says Quality Tanks, Inc, 608 Delco Dr. Clinton, Wisconsin. Model #6354.

This thing is NICE. The welds are clean and uniform, the paint is flawless, the walls of this thing sound super thick compared to Chinese ones I've tapped on and the hose is plenty long and made in USA by Continental. It even came filled with air!

If you need a tank, any kind of tank, please contact Quality Tanks!
Quality Tanks, LLC. - Water Expansion Tanks - Air Tanks - Commercial - Military
IMG_20220810_194536.jpg

I have a Bro that converts Propane tanks.... for some reason, we find em all the time. Heck, I found 2 full ones roadside, people moving out. .

Are those tanks ASME rated?

MIL-T-45169, per McMaster's website (McMaster-Carr)

I'm not familiar with the ASME standards for tanks, and the mil-spec is buried inside a couple others, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Mil-spec encompasses any relevant ASME/ASTM standards at some point.

That looks like the one we have at work. Its a dayton and is probably 40 years old. Strangely it has no legs so it just kinda wobbles around.

That looks like the one we have at work. Its a dayton and is probably 40 years old. Strangely it has no legs so it just kinda wobbles around.

This one has one leg bracket on the hose end. The leg bracket is twice as thick as it needs to be, lol. My only critique is that there's clearly a weight penalty on this one, but it will clearly outlast me in any circumstance not involving nuclear weapons. I'm considering putting stick-on rubber feets on it just so I don't scratch the paint up when I set it on the floor.

I've been using a very cheap tank like that for over fifty years. I have no idea where it was made but for the price I paid I would bet Japan or China. The shut off valve leaks but it still holds air.

These look to be well made aluminum tanks USA made and reasonably priced. Products – Trick Tank also a link to a destructive test video of same tank. I found a few ASME certified air tanks from $159 - $300 10 gal. and 20 gal. with a 175 psi rating. All the portable tire inflation air tanks seem to be non ASME but some claim to be MIL spec (fwiw)

These look to be well made aluminum tanks USA made and reasonably priced. Products – Trick Tank also a link to a destructive test video of same tank. I found a few ASME certified air tanks from $159 - $300 10 gal. and 20 gal. with a 175 psi rating. All the portable tire inflation air tanks seem to be non ASME but some claim to be MIL spec (fwiw)

I know for a fact that I LOOKED at their website, and they didn't have that listed!
Looks like I might be buying another coupla tanks.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that I LOOKED at their website, and they didn't have that listed!
Looks like I might be buying another coupla tanks.
The tank test video is from 2020, that $45 tank(5gal) has gone up to $75. They show a 7gal for $129. Might get one for myself. I remember when the tool truck salesmen sold kits to convert empty refrigerant cans to portable air tanks!

-
Back