Magnesium Cross Ram Date Code?

-

SSing

Reaction score
The ´64 SS B-Body cars had a date coded aluminum cross ram intake.
Did the magnesium intake for the ´65 and ´68 SS-cars have a similar date code?
Apparently a number of the first run of the ´68 SS A-bodies, came with this aluminum intake, but we can leave this out not to confuse thinks here...
I have an early-mid seventies magnesium intake manifold, and it would be interesting to know the casting date. I need to remove a thick layer of paint to tell for sure, but as it appears there are not numbers that clearly tells the date, like on the ´64 cars.
There is one more "pad" on the intake, similar to the one in the first pic.

Btw ordinary paint remover does not work on this paint. What type blaster do I use not to damage the surface?
Thank you for taking the time.
cross ram.jpg

cross ram2.jpg

The ´64 SS B-Body cars had a date coded aluminum cross ram intake.
Did the magnesium intake for the ´65 and ´68 SS-cars have a similar date code?
Apparently a number of the first run of the ´68 SS A-bodies, came with this aluminum intake, but we can leave this out not to confuse thinks here...
I have an early-mid seventies magnesium intake manifold, and it would be interesting to know the casting date. I need to remove a thick layer of paint to tell for sure, but as it appears there are not numbers that clearly tells the date, like on the ´64 cars.
There is one more "pad" on the intake, similar to the one in the first pic.

Btw ordinary paint remover does not work on this paint. What type blaster do I use not to damage the surface?
Thank you for taking the time.
View attachment 1715130538
View attachment 1715130539
No help here, but we did borrow a magnesium crossram off of Jim Hale one year , just to try. With our set up it wasn`t any faster than our rat roaster that was pretty well scienced out at the time.?

No help, but always interesting to hear. Feel free to chime in with "stories" like this when ever you like...
Now, when was this? Are you comparing two unmodified intakes?

No date on my original Hemi dart crossram manifold.

Ooh that's cool. It would be interesting though, to see if the smal patches (first pic) that seem to have digits stamped on them are same stampings on all these intake manifolds.
As soon as I get mine back, maybe we can compare...

No date on my original Hemi dart crossram manifold.

Ooh that is cool...
In first picture you see stampings on one of the patches at the outer edge of the manifold. As soon as I get it back from a guy who has it blasted, maybe we can compare these stampings. One would think, since stamped, not all have same stampings.

-
Back