Magnum 5.2 into early A?

-

moper

Reaction score
I stumbled over a '94 Magnum 5.2L out of a Ram. It's essentially free and is totally complete. So I'm wondering a couple things:
First, the timing cover - Will a 273 timing cover fit the Magnum? I understand I'll have to remark the dampner. I want the 273 look and V belt accessories.
Second - will the exh manifolds work? They are the larger outlet Magnums. I thought it was the 93-95 that fit and had the larger outlets but I'm not certain.
Last - does the 273/318 LA oil pan bolt on?

Thanks guys!

Going through the same thing with a 65 Barracuda with a 273 with 318 heads. I think alot of it depends if it has power steering. Mine does and the only thing that will work are doug's headers, spitfires, early 273 manifolds (what I am using). I tried 340 manifolds and 71 318 manifolds and had no luck. I have also heard that magnums won't work with power steering either. They all hit the power steering box.

I'm not sure about the timing cover. Sorry

i think magnums use the 360 oil pan - all of them went to the larger back circle when they went magnum block.

that would eliminate the 318 / 273 pan but a 360 pn would work fine.

Thanks Bad. My car's currently manual steering. I want to convert it but I have an empty garage bay and my '65 needs a front end. So as things sprial together... This free motor and subsequent swap may just happen now rather than later. I have the 273 manifolds and 340 Hi-pos, but something told me the 340 ones wouldnt work. I know I've read about the usage of these magnum manifolds - but I can't seem to find a consensus as to which years are "the best". Because it's such a PITA I'd rather know which ones to blast and use before it gets bolted down...lol.

Thankd Dave - I thought it was the other way around... The 360s have the smaller rear main, and the Magnums all went to that. but again, it's not something I'm really familiar with and the engine is still at a buddy's house so I can't look. I know the 273 pan will fit the chassis with the dropped centerlink. I'm not sure if the common 360 "passenger" pan will. What does your engine have on it for a pan? You have an LA 360, right?

Subscribed, I just picked up a 5.2 and am planning to put it in my wagon.

I have the complete early setup I would like to sell. It includes the timing cover w/reman water pump, all pulleys, all brackets for alt and pwr steering including p/s pump and hose if anyone is interested. $150 plus ship.

Send me a PM.

Mike

I just did the 5.2 magnum swap into my 65 cuda back in Jan...
(best thing I ever did btw)

The block is almost identical. Enough so that the swap was very easy.

The oil pan needed is from a LA 360 car. You'll have to massage it a bit for the centerlink. The rear main is smaller on the magnums, just like the old 360s.

I used the entire front end assembly off my 273 including the timing cover, water pump, all brackets etc.

The other things from the 273 I used were:
fuel pump
exhaust manifolds
motor mounts
distibutor
right angle oil filter adaptor
valve covers

Things I bought NEW were:
intake manifold
HV oil pump, pickup tube
cam extender / snout
gaskets - you'll need some for the 273 and some from the magnum

Hope this helps!

View attachment new motor.jpg

i used 71 340 hi po's for years with manual steering - they worked great

Thanks Jamey. That's pretty close to what I'm considering. I appreciate the info!

Dave - I had a '66 that had a 340/4spd in it and it used the '71 hipos. But I'd also heard they didn't fit earlier cars...lol. I'm still wondering about the Ram Magnum manifolds. Those 273 factory ones are really, really bad.

Here is some general info on the differences between LA and Magnum engines by Al K. Not sure if the article contains what you are looking for but it may help.

Click here.

Thanks Jamey. That's pretty close to what I'm considering. I appreciate the info!

Dave - I had a '66 that had a 340/4spd in it and it used the '71 hipos. But I'd also heard they didn't fit earlier cars...lol. I'm still wondering about the Ram Magnum manifolds. Those 273 factory ones are really, really bad.

I have a set of the Ram manifolds that I'm going to try on my car with my swap, I can tell they will flow much better than my 273 manifolds if I can get them to fit. The Rams both exit out of the rear, so I'm not entirely sure how it will work out.

-
Back