Magnum Exh Manifold options

-

snowmann

Reaction score
I’m looking for a little information from the experts in here. Way back in the early 90’s I put a set of Magnum exhaust manifolds on a 340 truck project I had. Just basic 1.88 heads and I don’t recall the exhaust ports being hogged out much if any. The gaskets and manifold ports weren’t a perfect fit to the LA ports but I ran them anyway. Fast forward a couple thousand miles and it burned a small section of the gasket out, and it was a repeat performance every couple thousand miles. I want to say it was the outside ports but don’t recall.

I am building a 72 Scamp project and at the point where I need to select an engine for it. I am considering a magnum engine but I know the Magnum manifolds won’t fit in that body.

I have looked around and some people say the LA headers and Exhaust manifolds work on Magnum heads and some say they don’t. I don’t see any headers available for the “A” bodies that specifically say for "Magnum engines only".

For magnum swapped engines, what are people using for manifolds/headers? If using the LA headers, are you having issues with burning out gaskets?

LA headers with a small amount of massaging and remflex gaskets will work, have been using this set up for 4 years and no leaks

I put headman shorty headers on my magnum. I had to grind down the truck motor mount boss on the driver side. The 408 is in my 71 Barracuda. I think they would work in an A-body as well. Rod

IMG_4403.JPG

LA headers with a small amount of massaging and remflex gaskets will work, have been using this set up for 4 years and no leaks

Same here, no problems at all and the remflex gaskets were even used on the previous motor with headers.
On my last motor I had a busted off stud on the rear drivers side so that is when I got the Remflex gaskets and it never leaked.
Just can't recommend those gaskets enough for headers.

iv'e got an 01 magnum in my 72 swinger. truck manifold fits the pass. side, but used a 340 manifold on the drivers side.

I’ve got Doug’s d453 headers on my 5.9 magnum in a 68 Dart. Only had it up and running for a short time, so don’t know about burnout, but their sealing well so far.

-
Back