Magnum Force kit

-

1967ragtop

Reaction score
:?: I'm thinking of changing my 68 Barracuda to Magnum Forces kit. Any opinions or comments? This car is a strip only type with cage/backhalved design. Thanks, Ted.

Are you refering to the tubular front end kit ?

I have heard of some having problems with it but have no personal experiance.

Their are other kits on the market aswell such as the Altercation kit.

Dare is said to have some serious qeometry issues. I believe their is also a company call JRT that is said to be the lightest.

I have the kit and after the first 2 the 3rd one fit. I like it other than I always thought it put my front wheels out too far. Oh and the COST also.
fa662aac.jpg

Dale

1967ragtop said:
:?: I'm thinking of changing my 68 Barracuda to Magnum Forces kit. Any opinions or comments? This car is a strip only type with cage/backhalved design. Thanks, Ted.
What ET does your car run now? How is the weight transfer on launch?
Traction?

Don't get the Magnum Force kit, like ProStreetfm3 and others I've read on other forums said they put your front wheels out farther, and many people have had problems with holes and things not lining up right, I also think in the Moparts forum there was more complains about it, but I didn't have time to track them down.
Here is a link from an article in hotrod magazine http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/chassis/113_0309_kfra/
Even though HotRod said they notified them of all the problems, it still has had way too many complaints for the price.
I heard L.R.T. k-members (I think that's what there called?) were top notch along with Alterkation.
Does anyone have a link to L.R.T. I'd like to find out more on this one for myself.

If you're going to spend the bux, AlterKation all the way. Bill is awesome to deal with and won't let you go away mad. I ran into both Magnum Force and Dare at Mopars on the Strip. Magnum force left me with a bad taste in my mouth due to their arrogance. Dare is just a friggin idiot and likes to bad mouth his colleagues/competition. Yes I'm biased toward Bill Reilly and his website (www.bigblockdart.com) due to the incredible wealth of information that I've gotten from there, but also what a great guy to deal with. It's your money and by all means, do what you feel is best, but if I were going to sink that much into the front of my car, Bill would be my first and only choice.
Cheers,
Dart 440 4spd

Welcome to the site Dart 440 4spd 8) I thought about getting the Magnum Force kit quite a few years ago when I got their Tubular upper control arms. I must admit they were a little arrogant and I still wanted to drive the car on the street and use stock type motor mounts. After watching all the different people making these things nowdays, Bill Reilly's does seem to be the best designed one out there. May not have that cool lightweight tubular look, but I'd rather have a well engineered product than a "cool" looking one. Maybe if I were build a drag race only car I'd think differently, but for my purpose BBD has the best.

I recently read on BBD that they been having a little "discussion" about adding a small block forum and had some very negative response from the members. They can send all the small block guys to us, we'll be happy to have them. I can understand the members feelings over there because their name says it all "BigBlockDart" :wink: Maybe one day I'll have something to share over there, like a BigBlockDuster :D

Welcome aboard !

I like BBD, some good people on the board and some of them have found their way over here.

Thanks for the replies:
Walter - I'm putting the car together now and have no track information at this time. I believe the car will weigh 2700 lbs. without driver 440/727/dana60. The car will have a race only interior and lightenend panels/lexan etc...

Adam - thanks for your reply.

Prostreet - We have a guy that I talked to who runs the Magnum kit in his 68Barracuda. I had the same issues with the width. I thought it had something to do with the hub adaptors and the Wilwood disks.

I will look into the other kits you guys mentioned as I like the tubular looks but have other needs as well. Ted.

Has any one used the QA1 set up 1/3 the price 2700$ with shocks as apposed to 4500$ for altercation?

Thanks for the replies:
Walter - I'm putting the car together now and have no track information at this time. I believe the car will weigh 2700 lbs. without driver 440/727/dana60. The car will have a race only interior and lightenend panels/lexan etc...

Adam - thanks for your reply.

Prostreet - We have a guy that I talked to who runs the Magnum kit in his 68Barracuda. I had the same issues with the width. I thought it had something to do with the hub adaptors and the Wilwood disks.

I will look into the other kits you guys mentioned as I like the tubular looks but have other needs as well. Ted.

I got a great deal on a complete magnum force tubular front end, 'was too good to pass up." I needed to rebuild everything in the front of my basket case 68 form S fastback anyway. I run a motor plate, and built some strut rods that attach to the lower control arms, about the same length as the stock ones. Also use the upper strut bars that are attached to the firewall and the frame up by the radiator, w/ 2 attaching points to the shock towers, one on the shock bolt itself, and the other on the top of the shock tower. I have had no problems w/ the wheels being too wide. I switched the coil over springs out to 350lbs springs , recommended by mag. force. The only trouble I`ve had are the springs sagging a bit, I need to adjust them a hair .----jfyi

Last edited:
-
Back