Magnum going into '73 Dart...which spool mounts? Where to buy?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Which spool mounts do I need for mounting a Magnum into the old 'Sport? I gather that the LA and Magnum use different mounts.

Thanks for any suggestions!
-Mike

No,same mounts.360 la,for 360 Magnum.Just a secondary note.If running full length 4 into 1 headers,mock the headers on the engine stand.The center block engine mounts,may need grinding for clearance.

Yes the 318,360 LA spool mounts will bolt onto the magnum 5.9L. I did it on my 74 Duster and worked good. Be sure to washer shim any gap from engine ears to spool surface; so there is no distortion of block from bolts. I replaced the worn out rubber with polyurethane inserts from PST. That made mounts lots firmer. Good Luck

Thanks, guys! What is a good source for these? Summit was useless.

Thanks to both of you...but what's the diffence between the $160 mounts at engineswaps.com and the $9 ones at NAPA?

Im lost...

The one's at engine swap give you the metal brakets too.The others you reuse your exiting brackets and put the new bushing in them.So if you have the right mounts already you won't need them.

Mike
Does car have engine now? Is it V8 or /6? If you have a /6 you will need to buy conversion mounts, if it is a V8 car and mounts are missing, Rockauto has cheap replacements w/brackets attached.
Rick

Awesome...thanks, guys!!
The car was a 318 (now sitting on a stand in the garage) so it looks like I can save a few bucks.

Guys- one more dumb question-

Any reason that I shouldn't reuse the original mouints from my 318? Is there an advantage to a different style mount?

Is there a bushing to replace?

Thanks for any info...and for tolerating the novice questions!! ;)
-Mike

I bought new motor mounts from Napa for my 73 k frame brackets and all for about $15 each. Needed to buy bolts and locknuts separately but they had them at ACE.

I bought new motor mounts from Napa for my 73 k frame brackets and all for about $15 each. Needed to buy bolts and locknuts separately but they had them at ACE.

Thanks, Hersbird!

So...I'm going to pick these up today (or have the local Carquest shop order them)....

Just to be clear, if I get everything I need, it should look like this, right? (found it on Google...no idea what thread that's from)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714528740&stc=1&d=1343841434

Thanks to all for tolerating my noob questions. First motor swap...never had to deal with mounts before. :happy8:

Not exactly. That pic is of schumacher conversion mounts... from what you say, the previous engine is/was a 318.
So....
LA318, LA360 or 360 Mag or 318 Mag can use the same mounts, use your stock mounts ( replace inserts if needed autozone part number A2369 for insert only )
A2325 and A2326 for the whole mount with insert.
If your mounts look like this you're good to go

LA318->383,400,426,440 : conversion mounts needed
/6 -> any v8 BB or SB: conversion mounts needed ( 2 different kinds depending on if you are using SB or BB )

I'm in the process of a /6 to 360 Mag swap as we type.

I was going from 68 style motor mounts to 73 style so I needed the whole mount. You aren't converting anything really just going 73 318 to 360 so your old mounts are the mounts I bought just new. Just buying the insert as pointed out might save you a few bucks but the whole peice isn't that much more. You do need a bit of a spacer on one side just to make up a gap in the mounting ears on the 360. You will see it when you line it up. The expensive mounts are to fit v8 where a six was before or a big block where a small block was.

Not sure about magnum 360 but the LA 360 uses a different mount/ bracket on the driver's side than the LA 318 does. You would just need to get the driver's side mount for LA360 & use the pass side mount from the 318.

You guys are the best....thanks to each of you.

So based on the above, it sounded like I could reuse the passenger side mount but that I would need the LA 360 mount for the driver's side...but the autoparts store cross-checked the part numbers with the LA 318 mounts and said they were the same!

So now my plan is to try the old mounts from the 318 as soon as the Magnum motor is in my garage... I assume that the fitment in question is where the bracket bolts to the block (since the K-Member mounts are obviously not going anywhere...) So I should know right away.

Thanks again, guys.

Not sure about magnum 360 but the LA 360 uses a different mount/ bracket on the driver's side than the LA 318 does. You would just need to get the driver's side mount for LA360 & use the pass side mount from the 318.

The problem is that ANY of the replacement mounts I've found, O' Really, NAPA, etc, all show the same part no for 318/ 360. I guess "they" just expect us to bend/ shim the bracket to fit.

The problem is that ANY of the replacement mounts I've found, O' Really, NAPA, etc, all show the same part no for 318/ 360. I guess "they" just expect us to bend/ shim the bracket to fit.

Thanks, 67Dart273....

Ok... this makes sense.
Has anyone ever documented how they bent/shimmed their mount to work?

-
Back