Magnum Harmonic Balancers

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
Can someone point me to pictures showing the difference between the one and two piece unit? I've got a motor that is supposed to be a 98, but my understanding is the balancers after 2001, were a single, integral casting but I can't find anything that shows the diff. My engine "appears" to have the later version.

The later balancer had the crank pulley attached. It's a "one piece". Its fine with the serpentine setup but can be used with a V belt setup since you can't unholy the pulley.

The early magnums had balancer with a removable pulley. That pulley can be unbolted and replaced with a V belt pulley.

The later balancer had the crank pulley attached. It's a "one piece". Its fine with the serpentine setup but can be used with a V belt setup since you can't unholy the pulley.

The early magnums had balancer with a removable pulley. That pulley can be unbolted and replaced with a V belt pulley.

I understand the differences as described, I'm looking for a visual reference.

Factory Magnum one peice from the 1999 Dodge Ram I am driving today. Notice the casting of pulkey integrated with dampener, so only one single bolt holding the whole thing on.

IMG_20181220_075607.jpg

IMG_20181220_075545.jpg

Factory Magnum two piece from a slightly earlier 1999 Ram truck. Notice the pulley bolts on separately from the dampener.

IMG_20180808_210725.jpg

Thanks Bob, this is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like the "older" magnum two piece is essentially the same as the older LA, but with a serpentine pulley. My motor is supposed to be from a 98 Durango, but it has the one piece balancer. Sounds like someone at the "yard" made a mistake and gave me the wrong motor.

Just swap on an earlier balancer and you'll be good to go, If you are using the V belt setup. The balancers are pretty easy to find in a junkyard. I think I have two of them on the shelf at home.

Went to the picknpull and found a balancer, 4 belt pulley and the timing chain cover off of an LA. Thanks for the help in identifying the balancers.

Just for clarification for anyone reading, 360/5.9 magnum balancers are not interchangeable with 360 LA balancers. They physically fit but the position and size of the counterweight differs.

A 5.9 magnum needs a 5.9 magnum balancer.
A 360 LA needs a 360 LA balancer.

Both are externally balanced, but are still different.

My understanding is that a 273, 318, 340 and 5.2 magnum all can use a common balancer since they are internally balanced. Can anyone comfirm this?

Also, there is an aftermarket balancer for the 5.9 magnum made by ATI which requires a custom pulley or custom spacer due to the body of the balancer being thicker than a stock unit. They are exceptional quality though.

I have a professional products balancer on my 5.9. I mainly just wanted it for timing the engine easier. It has proper weights included for a 5.9 magnum.

My understanding is that a 273, 318, 340 and 5.2 magnum all can use a common balancer since they are internally balanced. Can anyone comfirm this?

Sort of. All internal balanced small blocks can use the same neutral balanced dampener.
The external balanced 340s must use a specific 340 external balanced dampener.
All LA 360s from the factory use a specific external balanced dampener.
All years of 5.9 Magnum from the factory use their own Magnum external balanced dampener.
All non-factory small blocks are handled individually, but when internally balanced, can use the basic neutral balanced dampener.
All applications still need appropriate flex plates.
The Professional Products harmonic balancer, or dampener, includes bolt-on weights so it can be set up for any of these applications by installing the application specific weight.

-
Back