Magnum heads onto LA 318

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
If I had a set of good magnumheads, and a LA 318 with a couple burned valves............. What would it take to put them together.

From what I understand is block the oiling hole on the deck AMC style lifter push rod that carry oil to the rockers magnum head bolts an intake that works with magnum bolt angles.

Magnum rockers, hollow push rods, magnum style intake (bolts are a different angle) head bolts off a magnum 5.2/5.9

I have just finished gettin all the parts together for this. Was hopin to assemble my long block today, but I got too much else to do. Anyway, here's MY list.

Magnum heads
Summit 1457650 pushrods
AMC style oil through lifters
These head gaskets http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-340-3...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5891c72a54&vxp=mtr
ARP 144-3605 Head Bolts
Whichever rockers you wanna run. I'm runnin stock ones. They are supposed to be pretty good. Hughes makes some really badass ones that mount 2 to a common shaft.
If you use the correct valve cover gaskets, you can use any LA valve cover with no leaks. I have some out in the shop. I'll get you the part number later if you want it.
I'm gonna go ahead I think and get the magnum timing cover and do a serpentine belt. From what I have found out, it's pretty much a bolt on and since I'm building from the bare block up, why not?
Course you know which cam I'm runnin. LOL
I think that about covers it.

Oh yeah I forgot the intake. I got a chinkese air gap knock off. Hay it was cheap and the quality looks good. Plus, it has BOTH bolt patterns in case I wanna run it on an LA engine later.

I have just finished gettin all the parts together for this. Was hopin to assemble my long block today, but I got too much else to do. Anyway, here's MY list.

I'm gonna go ahead I think and get the magnum timing cover and do a serpentine belt. From what I have found out, it's pretty much a bolt on and since I'm building from the bare block up, why not?
Course you know which cam I'm runnin. LOL
I think that about covers it.

make sure you use a magnum water pump as well, I'm sure you already know there reverse rotation

make sure you use a magnum water pump as well, I'm sure you already know there reverse rotation

Yeah...I was takin for granted since I mentioned the magnum timing cover that that went along. But thank you for nailin it down. lol That would suck if somebody put an LA pump on because I think they'll interchange.

Stroker, what is the total price in parts for this conversion so far?

I had heads already. Including the intermediate shaft tool I just got, which really ain't part of it, I probably have right at 275 in all of it. That includes intake, too. But I do all my own valve jobs and any other work that I can do like installing cam bearings, freeze plugs and that type thing. I have to do as much as possible to keep outsied costs down, or I couldn't do any of this at all. Keep in mind, Magnum heads just happened to be what I found when I was lookin for good cores. It's not like I was huntin specifically for them. They were there and available to I am using them. I'm sure when I get the serpentine drive and all that sorted out, the price will be a good bit more, but it will be a nice compact package on the front of the motor too.

Yeah...I was takin for granted since I mentioned the magnum timing cover that that went along. But thank you for nailin it down. lol That would suck if somebody put an LA pump on because I think they'll interchange.

Are you changing to a serpentine belt instead of the V-belts? IF so, then you need the Magnum cover and pump, otherwise, you can use the LA cover.

I wound up changing my Magnum to an LA timing cover and water pump so that I could use the March brackets and pulley kit.

I am going with the serpentine belt. I have acquired a magnum timing cover.

The serpentine belt is much nicer, but I wanted the engine bay on my Dart to look almost completely old-school.

The serpentine belt is much nicer, but I wanted the engine bay on my Dart to look almost completely old-school.

V belts will certainly accomplish that.

Yeah, and I wanted the polished water pump pulley, too.

-
Back