Magnum heads

-

MassDart

Lifelong Dart fan
Reaction score
As I'm wrapping up the short block build of my 5.9 Magnum that I'm going to drop into my 67 Dart, I'm getting ready to order heads.

I'm looking to get EQ's with 2.02 intakes and have found 2 providers that are reasonably priced.

One is Clearwater Cylinder Heads and the other is Performance Injection Equipment

Does anyone have any experience with either of these places? Both okay, or run away?

Thanks

Only the now discontinued New Zealand heads were the performance type. The current heads " Chinese made" are good oe replacement but don't flow like the magazine tested heads did.
Just an FYI.

These guys seem to work them over pretty good for decent flow. I'm sure not the quality of the earlier New Zealand versions, but probably not terrible.

Mopar EQ Cylinder Heads

those are almost certainly the prior mentioned new zealand castings which haven't been made for years now. I'd be interested to see what that shop says if you emailed them asking for a set of worked magnum heads. Wonder what castings they would be using...

Talked to them today. They have them. Not the NZ versions, must be the Chinese versions but they flow them and said when they're done they flow as well. They say about 2-3 weeks ship from order.

The last set of the NZ EQ heads that I got showed up December of 2018...after that the rougher black castings started apearing...it would take a lot of work in my opinion to get them to match the NZ heads in flow

New EQ head

ACF2B63B-2977-40FE-8A66-2C77D5745EA7.jpeg

B9398092-C7E5-42ED-83D7-E3BE49F661BE.jpeg

08121DA2-7672-4E16-9084-3EC990693F44.jpeg

.it would take a lot of work in my opinion to get them to match the NZ heads in flow

If they are doing them on a CNC mill, it would take a little more time but as long as the meat is there, the program should/could end up with a "similar" result. I haven't heard of anyone else reworking the new NZ head to the same results as before though.

They are doing them with CNC. Because my build is based on the Mild 360 Magnum build, I would think these will be okay if not completely optimal. Are there other aftermarket iron heads out there that are a better choice?

The NZ heads are no more, so no sense in pining after what is no longer produced.
If someplace is set up to cnc the new castings for improved flow, that seems like a pretty logical option to me.

They should do the trick for your build.

I was building mine in between the original EQ heads disappearing and the new ones coming in. I ended going with Edelbrocks.

Old NZ head
If they are doing them on a CNC mill, it would take a little more time but as long as the meat is there, the program should/could end up with a "similar" result. I haven't heard of anyone else reworking the new NZ head to the same results as before though.
$1500 is not bad for a pair of CNC ported heads that flow 270….

I looked at the PIE website........ no mention of any cnc work on the iron heads for $1499.

That’s not to say it isn’t happening........ but it would certainly seem like that would be a noteworthy selling point if it were happening.

I guess before I plunked down my $$$, I’d want some clarification on exactly what the cnc work consisted of.

To me, the description read like it was leftover from when they were selling the NZ heads.

One would think if the new EQ castings could easily be tweaked to flow 270 with a little cnc work, then a place like Hughes(who has their own cnc machine, and was already marketing the NZ heads) would have jumped on the bandwagon.

Those castings can be bought very inexpensive from most anywhere. My suggestion would be to have a local trusted shop build them for you.

I looked at the PIE website........ no mention of any cnc work on the iron heads for $1499.

That’s not to say it isn’t happening........ but it would certainly seem like that would be a noteworthy selling point if it were happening.

I guess before I plunked down my $$$, I’d want some clarification on exactly what the cnc work consisted of.

To me, the description read like it was leftover from when they were selling the NZ heads.

One would think if the new EQ castings could easily be tweaked to flow 270 with a little cnc work, then a place like Hughes(who has their own cnc machine, and was already marketing the NZ heads) would have jumped on the bandwagon.

In my conversation with them, they stated that they use a 4 axis CNC and work them to achieve the spec that they are listing as well as changing the guides and working the seats. Hopefully they're being truthful.

Good thing about CNC machining is that as long as there is enough meat to support their port design, the result should exactly the same. The problem would be if the head itself doesn't have a close enough internal casting to allow for the removal of material and blow though the side. You could CNC port a solid block of aluminum and it would be exactly the same. I suspect the the changes wouldn't be that drastic. I mean heck, if they get anywhere near 250/260, hell yeah.

Good thing about CNC machining is that as long as there is enough meat to support their port design, the result should exactly the same. The problem would be if the head itself doesn't have a close enough internal casting to allow for the removal of material and blow though the side. You could CNC port a solid block of aluminum and it would be exactly the same. I suspect the the changes wouldn't be that drastic. I mean heck, if they get anywhere near 250/260, hell yeah.
The cheap aftermarket mag heads will do that with a little work.

If you go the PIE route....... post some pics when you get them.

Will do. Pulled the trigger late this morning. Figured I'd take a chance. They say 2-3 weeks. Interestingly, I can't get any answer from Lunati, but the cam has been ordered for 4 weeks and they can't even give me an estimate on time frame

The SBM roller cam core situation is pretty bleak....... and has been for months.
At least that’s how it’s been for the LA stuff.

The last conversation I had with Comp about it a few weeks ago, they didn’t even have a scheduled date on when they expected to see some of the lower lift(hyd roller cam) LA roller cores.

I was trying to get something in the works for a customer, and relayed the info to him.
No cores, and don’t know when they’ll have any.
They did however have, at that time, a few FT cores.
I discussed it with the customer, we settled on a custom SFT cam instead.
Called Comp back....... cores were all gone.
Luckily(and very surprisingly), they had a suitable catalog cam on the shelf.

Last edited:
I called Lunati 6 months ago to check on availability of hydraulic rollers, and the dude told me that they didn't have enough blanks to hit each other in the head with if they got in a fight in the building! My machinist called Bullet, and they ground me a hydraulic roller to the specs of the one I wanted from Lunati, but they had to do it on a short nosed blank for a Magnum motor. I just bought an extender from Hughes Engines so I can run a fuel pump eccentric on my cam and I'm good to go.

WoW! That’s scary.

the dude told me that they didn't have enough blanks to hit each other in the head with if they got in a fight in the building!

I don't get it. Does the US not make steel anymore? What the he'll happened to us?

-
Back