Magnum manifolds and power steering

Discussion in 'Forced Induction Mopar' started by AR_Tech, Oct 17, 2018.

1. AR_Tech

AR_Tech Active Member

Local Time:
    7:26 PM
    Thinking about trying the borgeson box and magnum manifolds for a turbo build. I havent found anyone that can tell me if the manifold will clear the steering box. I have found people saying it wont work with the power steering pump. That isn't exactly true. If you get the power steering pump and bracket from a v8 magnum jeep and the passenger side jeep exhaust manifold.... It will clear. Obviously you need magnum heads and running magnum accessories. The passenger manifold off the Durango will hit the pump 20181017_223541.jpg 20181017_223544.jpg 20181017_224821.jpg 20181017_224830.jpg 20181017_224910.jpg 20181017_224936.jpg 20181017_225159.jpg 20181017_225205.jpg resevoir. You could always go with a type ii saginaw pump with an external reservoir. Anyway, thinking about giving it a try and if it doesnt work buying some Hedman Tight Tubes and do something similar to turbo66valiant and their 318 build.

2. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    5:26 PM
    following, got the same manis and the same idea 'cept no P/S. I think youll be way ahead with the magnums than the tight tubes. More heat to the turbo-more efficient, less radiant heat in the engine bay.

3. Treblig

Treblig FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Well....it looks like you've stumbled upon an interesting idea!!!!! When everyone says that the magnum manifold won't work with power steering the statement was always made with the understanding that the motor was a pre-magnum engine in a early A or in an A body. I also tried the magnum on the engine (backwards), it wouldn't fit with the factory accessories. Now the only challenge will be the exhaust routing. I'm pretty sure it will work and if it does then you've helped FABO folks tremendously. I hope this thread doesn't get lost if you can get the exhaust pipes to clear on the driver's side. Magnum manifolds are pretty cheap right now because FABO can only use them on the passenger's side so there is low demand, if they can be used on both sides the prices might change?? Keep us updated as the build continues and be sure to include all the details with as many pics as possible.

GREAT JOB!!!!

Treblig

4. YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:26 PM
    Interesting.

What does the driver side jeep manifold look like?

5. Treblig

Local Time:
    The driver's side magnum manifold is designed for a Jeep motor. The Jeep motor has the starter on the Passenger's side. Since the Jeep motor has no starter on the driver's side the Jeep driver's manifold "turns in" towards the motor and runs right into the Mopar starter. I know because I tried one on my car, with the starter on the driver's side there's no way to get the Jeep driver's manifold to fit a Mopar motor unless you completely remove the starter.
    Now if you turn it "backwards" (on the driver's side) and use the magnum accessories it might be a different story!! Treblig
    s-l500.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      8:26 PM
      That's too bad.

The design of the front tube is totally different and would clear a PS pump.

Are all jeep engines this way between Wranglers and other models?

• Treblig

Local Time:
      When I was selling ported magnum manifolds I only found the 53009376 (pic in first post) manifold on '96-'98 318 and 360 Jeeps Grand Cherokees. I haven't found that particular manifold on any other vehicle although there might be some other use on another year or engine. They make different styles (shapes) of magnum manifolds for other vehicles like the Dodge van (last pic in first post) that have the large ports but they fit differently. The '92/'93 magnum vehicles also had large ports but they are harder to find. Treblig

• AR_Tech

AR_Tech Active Member

Local Time:
      Will be a few weeks, but I will update if it works or not.