Magnum Swap in 72 Swinger

-

darten1972

Reaction score
Hi All. I've just picked up a near perfect 2002 5.9L Magnum for my Dart. I currently have a 318 with a set of Dougs Headers, Edlebrock Air Gap Intake and a Street Demon 625 Carb. I'm looking to re-use as many of my parts as I can. What I need help with is a list on the parts I will need. I'm looking to purchase a set of EQ LA Style Magnum 2.02 heads to allow for my current intake. I have a existing 904 trans and an 8 3/4 sure grip already installed.
I'd like to keep the serpentine belt that's currently on the motor so I'll need a pulley for my existing power steering pump. I also have read about the LA 318 is balanced differently than the magnum and I'll need to address this in terms of a torque converter? I purchased a new 2500 stall for my 902 last year. Can this be re-used in anyway?

Motor Mounts?
Base Pan?
Oil Dip Stick?
Fly Wheel?
Camshaft recommendations?

I know there's a ton of experts out there that have done this swap and I'd love to tap into that knowledge base to make sure this swap goes a smooth as possible. I'm no mechanic but one of my good friends is and he to is a Mopar guy....

Thanks for any info you guys can send my way. I really appreciate all the info that is shared here....

Darten........

Google magnum swap, guy has a great webpage that shows all the info you need.

He did it in a swinger so that will help you

I used the power steering pump out of the donor (2001 Durango) and modified my battery tray. You can use a van bracket for the steering pump if you are going to retain the ac or a ac delete. In that case the battery tray mods won’t be necessary. I used the stock dipstick with the summit 360 pan and one piece gasket. Had to mark a new level line on the dipstick once i new I had added the correct amount of oil. Donor flexplate from the Durango just need one hole elongated slightly to hook up to my 727 converter.

-
Back