Magnum truck alternator

-

sport74

Reaction score
I'm building a magnum motor to go in my dart. I'm keeping the serpentine belt system, and will be using a dodge truck alternator. I plan on running the motor carbureted, so I won't be swapping harnesses. My question is has anyone done this before and what is the best way to wire up the alternator? Pics would be great too

So far as I know, those are just like what people call a "dual field" Mopar. Correctly called an isolated field.

You can use a 70 or later regulator, or you can ground one field terminal and use the older 69 / earlier style. Most (all?) these nowadays are internally electronic

Sport74, I hope you don't mind me co-jumping in on this thread as I myself am doing exactly this. I have installed a '00-5.9 into my '79. This is what I have noticed so far.

The Alt. has a single connection (battery) with two wires at one connection point. (Field wires) This would be the same as some of the older cars with two separate field wires on the Alt. back. I do believe that an see car can just splice I to the wires without issue since it never mattered which field wire was hooked up where on the back of the alternator.

On my '79, I think it will be the same no worry issue though one of my connections has two wires connected to a single female attachment and the other is a single wire.

I just have not had the time to check out the wire diagrams yet.

Measure those two suspected "field terminals" with an ohmmeter. If a reasonable resistance between them (say 20 to 200 ohm) and they are isolated from the case and the output terminal, I would say they are the same isolated field terminals as in a square-back alternator, so should work the same with an electronic Vreg (triangle connector). Polarity doesn't matter. I would expect the engine controller (PCM) controls the alternator in factory Magnum motors (typical in new cars), but you don't require that.

-
Back