"Maltese Cross" and non standard sizes from factory?

-

macdrew77

Reaction score
I have heard rumors of a "maltese cross" being stamped on a block in order to identify an engine with non standard size crank/bearings/something. Is this a fact? I ask because I am pulling apart a 1990 TBI 360 which I believe to have never been apart. I discovered the rod bearings are .010 under and was wondering if anyone can identify these bearings as factory originals? And stamped on the block near the dizzy hole is a sort of cross. Now this cross is not what google shows as being a "maltese" but maybe this is what signifies a non standard engine?

1 - czLJlCB.jpg

2 - B87Ovpv.jpg

Thats 'about' the time the engine line went to mexico. There were 'enough oil pump/bearing failures' in that era.[at first]. I remember letter stamps used, for size. A lot of these engines were hammered back together under flat rate pay.

I has a '71 440 HP engine that had a maltese cross with an X beside it on the front pad, and when i opened it up to refresh it and measured everything, #2 main bearings were 0.010" overersize and the rest were std.
I put it back together with the proper bearings and had to buy one that was 0.010'' for #2 and the clearances checked out perfectly.
My machinist said the crank was perfect with no taper or out of round when i took it in to be polished but he wanted to grind the crank 0.010'' on all of the mains and i insisted on leaving it alone.
I ran that engine after that for years without any problems.

O.P.:
I haven't seen that stamping on a block before, so i don't know what it means.

This is documented in the service manuals. There are several instances of "special" sizing, including undersize bearings, AND ONE OR MORE oversize lifter bore. I have a 340 block, "that" I believe it's the "diamond"

Go to MyMopar and download a service manual, FREE. Some of those, there are due to the efforts of a few of the guys on here

-
Back