Man Dies After Crashing ’70 Plymouth ‘Cuda Into Telephone Pole

-
Oh crap... Now I see the date is Nov. 7th, but 2011!

A friend just sent me the link and I noticed the Nov. 7th date, which is today. No wonder it looked vaguely familiar to me!

Ok, never mind folks. nothing left to see. Carry on with your regularly scheduled Friday.

:violent1:

I had not seen this before. That is nuts how badly the car was tore apart.

I remember seeing it in the past, but it brings up a good point that just because you can afford a fast car does not mean you can drive it

In the article it talks about how much safer new cars are. A friend posted pictures of an HHR that was pulling out of her neighborhood that got hit by a speeding car in the right turn lane into the neighborhood and it tore the HHR in 1/2. Luckily no. One was killed, but the car came apart right behind the front seats, an unbelievable sight

Yes many safety features there

A modified performance car can get away from the best driver in controlled environment, those with them be safe and bring it home in one piece!

A guy I went to school with ran from the cops in his 69 Camaro with a similar result. What was left of him was in the back seat and the engine rolled for 3 blocks....

Yeah I remember when this old dude crashed this car. From what I heard it wasn't a real Hemi car but was highly modified and he was 65 when he crashed and died. You can google it and read the story but this was an intense crash!! Too bad the guy died but he died doing what he enjoyed!

About a month ago a local guy 22 years old, lost a 2014 Ford Fiesta. He skidded sideways down the road 100 yards before shooting through a curve and being T Boned in his door by a tree, 20 feet off the ground. The car broke in three pieces and they had to search for him. Found dead at the scene.

Ban low performance drivers

Not high performance cars

That hood scoop was hideous too

Speed will do that to any car, airbags or not.

This is why you don't drive like an animal on the street. I don't care if nobody else is around. They don't have phone poles and trees lining the drag strip.

Where this guy screwed up was pushing an engine that needed extra height in fiberglass on his hood with absolutely no bar or cage of any kind.

This is why you don't drive like an animal on the street. I don't care if nobody else is around. They don't have phone poles and trees lining the drag strip.

Where this guy screwed up was pushing an engine that needed extra height in fiberglass on his hood with absolutely no bar or cage of any kind.

Looks like it had only a 4 point bar in one of the pictures.

Correct, dragstrips and race tracks don't have school buses, minivans full of children, and little old ladies that can't hear crossing them either. Excessive speed needs to always stay on the track.

I had seen this car at several shows. The car was not a real Hemi car and for a while it had a Viper drivetrain.

PRESS RELEASE

Sergeant Paul Shavack
Email: Paul.Shavack@state.de.us

TROOPERS INVESTIGATE FATAL CRASH SUMMIT BRIDGE ROAD

DSP News Release: Troopers Investigate Fatal Crash Summit Bridge Road

• Summit Bridge Road (RT 896) 400’ north of Sweet Hollow Road, Bear, DE

Date of Occurrence:

· Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 4:39 p.m.

Operator/Vehicle:

· Unidentified 65 year old male (Name to be released pending notification of NOK) Deceased

· 1970 Plymouth Barracuda

Resume

Bear-The Delaware State Police Crash Reconstruction Unit is investigating a single vehicle fatal crash that occurred this afternoon in Bear.

The crash occurred at approximately 4:39 p.m. this afternoon as the 65 year old male was operating a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda traveling northbound Summit Bridge Road at a high rate of speed. The 65 year old male lost control of the Plymouth Barracuda and rotated approximately 90 degrees clockwise, traveling off of the right (East) side of the roadway and striking a utility pole. After the impact the Barracuda was split into three separate sections, with the engine block traveling 100’ from the point of impact with the utility pole. The utility pole was sheared in half. The 65 year old male was ejected from the vehicle.

The 65 year old male was pronounced dead at the scene. His name will be released pending the notification of next of kin.

Preliminary investigation determined that the 65 year old male was the sole occupant of the vehicle and not properly restrained. Investigation revealed that prior to the incident the Barracuda had run out of gas on the right shoulder of Summit Bridge Road south of Howell School Road. Family members had just brought him gasoline. After getting the Barracuda running, he left the right shoulder at a high rate of speed, traveling northbound Summit Bridge Road just prior to the crash.

The Delaware State Police Crash Reconstruction Unit continues to investigate this crash.

Summit Bridge Road northbound was closed at Howell School Road for approximately 3 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared. DELDOT and Delmarva Power crews remain on scene due to the damage to the utility pole. Limited lane restrictions remain in effect.

Released: 110511 2115

Original Release

DSP News Release: **Traffic Advisory** Fatal Crash Summit Bridge Road at Howell School Road

• Summit Bridge Road (RT 896) at Howell School Road, Bear, DE

Date of Occurrence:
• Saturday, November 5, 2011 at 4:45 p.m.

Resume:

Bear-Delaware State Police are currently on scene investigating a fatal crash involving a single vehicle with one confirmed fatality on Summit Bridge Road northbound in the area of Howell School Road, Bear.

Troopers are advising that Summit Bridge Road (RT 896) northbound is closed at Howell School Road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area completely and plan alternate routes.

Updated information will be provided as information related to the crash investigation becomes available.

Released: 110511 1715

That's one way to keep your kids from fighting over your hot rod. He must have been in a hurry to get to the gas station.

in one of the pics it looks like it was still in first gear

Are you talking about this pic?

cuda-wreck-4.jpg

Actually it looks more like 2nd or 4th, but, after an impact like that the linkage probably looks like spaghetti and the shifter just flopping around.

Are you talking about this pic?

cuda-wreck-4.jpg

Actually it looks more like 2nd or 4th, but, after an impact like that the linkage probably looks like spaghetti and the shifter just flopping around.

What? Looks like an auto shifter to me.

Guy had Prius talent with Hemi power. It is what it is.

those wheels suck worse than the scoop....poor guy.i bet his family still fought over the parts.

-
Back