Manifold Heater for Cold Climates

Slant 6 Engines

1. cchrishefish

cchrishefish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:10 PM
    I purchased an Aussiespeed Hurricane intake and a manifold heater. The heater has two 3/8 inch threaded holes on one end and 1 threaded hole on the opposite end. I want to tap into the heater hoses. From what I understand, I can install some type of threaded heat tap that shuts off the coolant flow at a certain temperature. I need some guidance on how I should hook it up, should I use brass or steel fittings ETC? Part numbers would be helpful. I never heard of a heater tap, is it a fitting with some thermostatic control built in? AS0112 Universal Plenum water heater box for intake manifold | Aussiespeed Street & Racing Products Australia

90347687_638716516950659_7661960083965739008_n.jpg

90146178_274370130218154_1128972809914023936_n.jpg

90240074_648265679052314_4302174616194908160_n.jpg

2. cchrishefish

Local Time:
  3. cchrishefish

Local Time:
  4. my68barracuda

my68barracuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Before getting concerned over being able to turn off the hot water to the carb base, I would install the intake and hot water box and run it.
    My guess is the long runners on the AS intakes will like a warm carb base to keep the fuel in suspension at all times.
    Hot water heat on an intake will max out 190 to 210 depending upon the thermostat. That is much less than the radiant heat that will be hitting the sides of the intake runners from the header flanges.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      8:10 PM
      I would just plumb it in and run it. Coolant is much more stable as a heat source than exhaust heat ever was, and runs cooler under many "hot weather" running conditions than exhaust heat would have. Ford, years ago, used water heated carb bases on their V8s with no temp regulation.

If your heater uses a water valve of some sort, you will have to use "Y" or "T" fittings instead of inline or series.

• cchrishefish

Local Time:
      A member from Aussiespeed just informed me to block off the third tapped hole in the manifold heater. They put it there in order to install a heat sending unit ETC. Therefore, I believe a tap into either of the two heater hoses will work out fine. I did see someone tap into the water pump hose, or a thermostat housing. But, this may not be the best option for a slant in order to make the install look good. I believe the heater hose would allow for the cleanest install.

• my68barracuda

my68barracuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I have water heat on a super six intake that I have on my ‘83 D150 / Slant with Dual Dutra’s.
      I converted the EGR cavity on the bottom side of the intake into a sealed water chamber by using a steel plate as a cover on the bottom side. There is a second steel plate on the out side. Each plate has a fitting taped into it. I used hard 3/8 tubing as the water lines. My 83 head had an unused sensor hole on the top side near the thermostat housing ( was used for a Lean Burn sensor) that became the water out to the chamber. For the water return I T’d into the heater hose that returned water with the T near the water pump. The lines that I used is the formable brake line sections available at auto parts shops.
      Don’t get me wrong, heater hose T’d into the regular heater hoses would work, probably have more flow, I was just presenting an alternative method. I left one of my 3/8 lines unconnected and started the motor, there was a lot of flow,,

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
      • Like Like x 1
      • cchrishefish

Local Time:
      • Slantsix64

Slantsix64 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        10:10 PM
        you can just buy a fitting at home depot and splice it into the heater hose inlet something like this

Z2xEI0jcpEx_.jpg

• Slantsix64

Slantsix64 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        although i doubt you will have any problems having the intake as warm as your engines temp is great better than stock manifold heat

• Tooljunkie

Tooljunkie King of cobble/master of the broken bolt FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Chevrolet chevette had one under the carb too,electric.
        When the heater would fail it would ice up the screen and car would only idle.

i recall the ford ones,no control valves. I dont see an issue with it running continously at engine operating temp. Air/fuel has a cooling effect as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Nigel Hely

Nigel Hely 64DartDownUnder FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          2:10 PM
          I would connect it, try it, and run it. It can only get as hot as your cooling system will allow, which means temperature should be 'governed' by the thermostat and radiator pressure cap to about 110*C. I live in Australia, on older cars we do occasionally fit a 'heater tap' which is something similar to the item shown in Reply #9 by slantsix64, the purpose being for cars where the heater has water flowing (and heating) at all times, it can be isolated during summer to prevent unwanted escalating cabin temperatures (usually caused by leaking/cracked heater boxes!!!). That said, most of our 60's and 70's models with water-heated inlets flow water continually, with no temperature control. If after trying it, you really think you need 'on the move' control of the heating, look for a cable-operated heater/water control valve off an older model car.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            I posted a while back that I was thinking about running my heater hoses , strapped to the runners under side to add a little heat , under my victor intake , which is pretty darn tall.
            I got no opinions on it , and havent done it , since I dont drive the fish in really cold weather.
            a guy I used to know , had an old jeep gladiator pick up , and rerouted his regulated down fuel line across the top of his radiator , and sealed it w/ factory dumb dumb/putty , he bought from the jeep dealer , it did improve his gas mileage , according to him , which wasnt great on that vehicle to start with. He also had a throttle cable that he would pull out on the hiway for a steady rpm at speed. He would lay down across the seat w/ his feet hanging out the opposite door window, propped up so he could still see , he got a lot of looks from everyone that noticed it .
            He died in a wreck on the way moving back to his original home in Alabama , went to to sleep while driving , he was a very good friend !

• Wyrmrider

Wyrmrider Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            8:10 PM
            Nash had a water tube in the intake
            In the top of the manifold cast in the top of the block under the intake manifold (a flat plate ) in the flathead Statesman / Rambler You could get the plate with two Carter 1bbls
            Really helped keep the fuel in suspension
            we tried taking it out for the Mobilgas Economy run
            didn't help
            Go for it guys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.