Manifold HP

-

WRB426

Insane 4 Mopars
Reaction score
How much horsepower could I make with a 318 4BBL using the 1964 exhaust manifolds? I know the driver's side is pretty restrictive. I would use a roller hyd cam and pump gas friendly.

I would think you could shove 350HP through um.

those 64 v8 manifolds really choke it down, ports are tiny, that drivers side with its 90* bend sucks...,.. guess it all depends on the build..

those 64 v8 manifolds really choke it down, ports are tiny, that drivers side with its 90* bend sucks...,.. guess it all depends on the build..

What I just love is, when people have those manifolds for sale and mark them as "HP manifolds" like they are some kinda holy grail. All those early ones are the same. LOL

To the OP, why not run the 340 manifolds? Either style, early or late will fit without power steering.

To the OP, why not run the 340 manifolds? Either style, early or late will fit without power steering.
Do the 340 manifolds fit the early A bodies? I didn't think they did. I have a set of 64 manifolds right now.

Yes I know I'm at a dealing with small ports. But not looking to set the world on fire. Just build a decent street motor. I'm a believer in not every street car needs 600 HP.

thats all fine and dandy, and yes i understand that not all street cars need 600 hp. but your question is missing a ton of information.. so its a roller cammed 318 with a 4bbl.. is it all stock in which case the manifolods should be fine for daily type of street use. or is this a built motor? 400-500 hp??? if thats the case they will choke the hell out of it..

How much horsepower could I make with a 318 4BBL using the 1964 exhaust manifolds? I know the driver's side is pretty restrictive. I would use a roller hyd cam and pump gas friendly.
The loss of horsepower is mostly at high rpm- for a mild build on street driver- may even help with low end torque

thats all fine and dandy, and yes i understand that not all street cars need 600 hp. but your question is missing a ton of information.. so its a roller cammed 318 with a 4bbl.. is it all stock in which case the manifolods should be fine for daily type of street use. or is this a built motor? 400-500 hp??? if thats the case they will choke the hell out of it..
Pretty much all the information except for the 318 and the four barrel?

Do the 340 manifolds fit the early A bodies? I didn't think they did. I have a set of 64 manifolds right now.

With no power steering, yes. They are TIGHT. Tight enough that they may fit on one and another may have to shift the engine one way or the other, but they do fit.

I'm bench building a motor right now. Just trying to get ideas and pick people's brains that are smarter than me. Trying to advoid headers on an early A body. So any info is good info.

With no power steering, yes. They are TIGHT. Tight enough that they may fit on one and another may have to shift the engine one way or the other, but they do fit.
I might have to look into this further. Thanks.

I might have to look into this further. Thanks.

Do a search....and keep searching. LOL There are people here who have done it and posted. The search function sucks hind tit, but if you keep playing with the wording, you will find it.

The 340 manifolds have bigger ports but more important is the outlets are bigger.

Do a search....and keep searching. LOL There are people here who have done it and posted. The search function sucks hind tit, but if you keep playing with the wording, you will find it.
Thanks RRR. I'll search tonight when I get home.

a friend had the 73 styler 340 manifolds on his 66 cuda.. like stated the engine had to shift around to get them in and out but they fit..

might want to look at the magnum manifold as well. with a little massaging they will fit an early A. had them in my 66 valiant before I swapped the slant back in.
they are a lot cheaper than the 340 manifolds.

I wouldn’t worry about how much power can be made but focus on everything else afterwards. On the engine build, I would yield at 9.0-1. A tad more is possible but the octane required may start to fall short if the cam isn’t big enough duration wise. This is an exercise of caution. Then select the cam. While the manufacturers list an rpm they operate in, it is a general one with the bigger engines in mind. So select the one down from the most performance oriented grind that works with your converter and gear ratio.

On the exhaust, duals with an H or X pipe will top it off just perfectly 2-1/2 max size pipe. And that is plenty large!

Which model is your transmission, rear end size, gear ratio and tire size?

I wouldn’t worry about how much power can be made but focus on everything else afterwards. On the engine build, I would yield at 9.0-1. A tad more is possible but the octane required may start to fall short if the cam isn’t big enough duration wise. This is an exercise of caution. Then select the cam. While the manufacturers list an rpm they operate in, it is a general one with the bigger engines in mind. So select the one down from the most performance oriented grind that works with your converter and gear ratio.

On the exhaust, duals with an H or X pipe will top it off just perfectly 2-1/2 max size pipe. And that is plenty large!

Which model is your transmission, rear end size, gear ratio and tire size?
I'm planning on no P/S or power brakes. Haven't decided on transmission yet. I keep going back and forth on 4 speed/ 3 speed auto. 8 3/4 with 3:55 and either a 27" or 28" tall tire.

I keep going back and forth on 4 speed/ 3 speed auto. 8 3/4 with 3:55 and either a 27" or 28" tall tire.
IF this were I, I would use the 4spd trans. A 245/60/15 wheel & tire. (27 inch max tire diameter!) I'd skip the Hyd. roller cam myself. Umless you have a Magnum engine.
A cam duration @ .050 of 224 (-ish), 1.6 rockers, valve springs to match. (Call me crazy, but to expand the camshafts flexibility...) Top of the line Rhodes lifters, (Also available for the Chrysler Hyd. roller cam) adjustable duration units set at the max on the intake. Stock lifter on the exhaust.

OE or Edelbrock Performer intake. 650 cfm carb.

IF this were I, I would use the 4spd trans. A 245/60/15 wheel & tire. (27 inch max tire diameter!) I'd skip the Hyd. roller cam myself. Umless you have a Magnum engine.
A cam duration @ .050 of 224 (-ish), 1.6 rockers, valve springs to match. (Call me crazy, but to expand the camshafts flexibility...) Top of the line Rhodes lifters, (Also available for the Chrysler Hyd. roller cam) adjustable duration units set at the max on the intake. Stock lifter on the exhaust.

OE or Edelbrock Performer intake. 650 cfm carb.
Yes I'm leaning towards the 4 speed. 255/60R15. I figured the roller cam can provide better cam profiles.

-
Back