Manual Roof Puzzle-1965 Valiant.

-

Tom Bishop

Reaction score
Hi All.

When we adopted ol' Valiant he came with many parts boxed in the boot while things like Gearbox, Propshaft and a host of other odds n sods were simply missing.

We are now getting to the roof and need some help trying to figure out where these parts fit.

1) Cables.... from the net I have figured out where the front mounts but where does the spring side attach?

2) The big thick springs... I assume they are for the roof and assume they attach to the body with those meaty elongated slot brackets, but where on the body. From my eyeballing the obvious place, the body side metal looks a tad thin.

3) The nylon parts with the "Z" brackets. I have learnt they keep the folded roof down, but again, where do the mount on the body and where do they clip into the roof mechanism?

I'm asking for some photos to see where they all mount. All the literature I have found only deals with the auto roof.

Thanking You

Tom

Cables.jpeg

Springs n Brackets.jpeg

Thick Brackets.jpeg

@KosmicKuda Please... It would be appreciated.

Nope... Not the lens Chap.

Here is a link to the coating on the parts. (I always just walk in and ask for the yellow stuff) Also, all my old nuts and bolts go to them and they return them all shiny and bright at a fraction of replacing them.

http://metallicaelectroplating.co.za/index.php/services/zink-plating-yellow-passivate

I have installed the bits and bobs as per the pics.

Question:
A: The Springs.
1) Are they hooked from the correct side to the roof mechanism, at the top?
2) On their lower side, Is the brackets with the elongated holes mounted the correct way round. I.E. should the bolts be in front or behind where the spring mounts?

B: I still need to see how those cables with the springs mount.

Thank You.

All the bits.jpeg

Left Cable to rear.jpeg

Left from the front.jpeg

Left from the rear.jpeg

Right Cable to rear.jpeg

Right from the front.jpeg

Right from the rear.jpeg

Right Roof Down spring loaded.jpeg

Right side.jpeg

Roof at home position.jpeg

Thanks. The photos helped me with my 1964 Valiant convertible. I had those 2 big springs in the trunk but couldn't figure out where they fit. Mine was originally power since had the lift cylinders in place (bent rods so bought new), no pump but the hoses installed. I figured the springs were for a manual top and a prior owner had planned to change to that. I cleaned the top parts to bare metal, primed with Zinc Chrome can (NAPA, $9/can) which is best for aluminum, and gloss white rattle can.

I refreshed the rear window mechanisms. The lateral adjustment nuts were jammed with corrosion, so re-tapped the threads, and painted everything. It is tricky working the assembly in and out. I installed thru the opening as 3 parts - rear vertical channel, main, front vertical rail. Works smooth now. I've found a soaking in phosphoric acid is the easiest rust remover and gets into crevices. Cheapest are the jugs for concrete etching (Kleenstrip "Prep and Etch", ...).

Sorry for being late to the show as my 64 is stored in a different location and I only see it maybe twice a week.
Anyway looks like you have the manual top hold down brackets figured out. This is my right side hold-down. The hook is broken on the white nylon part.

20201109_123740_001.jpg

Picture looking down at the large spring on the left side. For reference, my car has red interior and white convertible top frame. All original, not altered

20201108_124605.jpg

Miscellaneous pictures. Long cable anchored on frame near the left front. I tried to find the termination of the other end but it"s buried somewhere in the top material. It's located in the welt that runs along the outside edge of the top.

20201108_121512.jpg

20201108_121853.jpg

@KosmicKuda Thank you, Those Pics are helpful. I were worried I had the lower spring brackets the correct way but see I installed them same as your car.

Please could I ask for a pic of the header seal, where the front of the roof and windscreen meet. I ordered the one piece seal from Classic industries and need to figure what holds it in place. There must be some clips or a strip that is needed as I see multiple small holds going accross the front.

And some pics of the roof hold down clips I created in fusion 360. The spring plate and the nylon clip is missing on the left. I will get this printed later and see if it works.

Roof Clip01.jpeg

Roof Clip02.jpeg

Roof Clip03.jpeg

I probably won't be able to see the car again until Friday. It's Tuesday morning now.

The hold-down parts are highly stressed. I doubt polymer printed parts would hold up. Best bet might be to start a request in the WANTED section here.
The first printed parts I used for work was in 1993. I mailed the files on a 3-1/2" floppy disc to a company in Detroit. A few days later I had my parts. Later on, all the companies I worked for had in-house machines. Coolest one was when I worked for a NASA contractor. Big expensive machine that did stainless steel.

I hope these help out. 64 Valiant unrestored factory white top and frame. All pictures right side of car. Didn't roll the car outside because it's a very rainy day, sorry.

20201122_125524.jpg

20201122_125614.jpg

20201122_125631.jpg

20201122_125647.jpg

20201122_125658.jpg

20201122_125707.jpg

20201122_125725.jpg

-
Back